Author Topic: What to do with it?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
What to do with it?
« on: October 24, 2017, 08:09:14 PM »
I turned a bowl recently, from a very old log of London Plane, lurking in the back of the wood store. I could see that it was massively out of balance. It had a large lump on one side. So rather than shake the shed to bits, I tried to remove enough wood to get as near to a balance as I could.
Lacking a chainsaw or any other means of cutting the lump off, I decided to cut in to the wood with a handsaw. I cut a series of parallel cuts across the log and with a large mallet and an old mortice chisel I chipped the waste away, I then put it on the lathe and checked for balance. I started the lathe and trued the edge and then set about cutting a 1" groove with a parting off chisel, and then had a great 15 minutes with the handsaw cutting the end off, rather than try to put a tool to it.

It came out like this:

So what do I do with it now? a sculptural piece?

The only thing I can come up with is a name; 'Strata'
Here's hoping the picture shows up
Ron

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
Re: What to do with it?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 08:19:58 PM »
Well it did not!
So try again.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 08:50:40 PM »
Burn it would be my sugestion.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 07:39:20 AM »
Why not try starting off between centers to find the natural balance point of the blank rather than force the balance point where you want it. Lyle JAMIESON has a good video on YOUTOOB covering this very point. You can then turn at higher speed in safety giving a good start to the design process.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:39:58 PM »
Often starting with the natural balance point will result in the blank becoming more out of balance as wood is removed and can also result in a smaller finished piece.