Author Topic: comp entry  (Read 1994 times)

Offline wider

• gold
comp entry
« on: October 22, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »
well hear goes my entry to the comp on a different page. I have left this a rustic finish. the tools I used are the bowl gouge, spindle gouge and a parting tool. I mounted the blank on a hot melt glue chucking point and then started to put a spigot to re mount it to get the correct chucking point in the back. then started on the shape. when I had finished using the dermal to embellish it I used spirit based primary colours to do over. then disaster happened. I thought I had a lacquer to cover it but ended up as spray gold. this was wiped of and had actually added to the look. the final colour is Jo sonje sea scape. all comments welcome.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: comp entry
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:57:09 AM »
Sorry Dennis I would not enter that in to a competition.

When we use colour, the finish of the wood has got to be perfect otherwise it shows all the marks you have a very poor finished surface on this piece. There seems to be torn grain everywhere.

The centre seems to have a hole in the middle which again looks untidy and stands out.

You also seem to got coloured stain on the edges of the wood.

On the plus side I like the design, but far more care needs to be taken on work like this.

Sorry

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:13:23 AM »
Everything as Ed pointed out plus you r dimples are very rough .
Attention to detail needed .
Your work had improved a lot lately but this one is a big let down

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:22:01 AM »
thank you for your comments. I was wanting this to be left a rustic type finish so did not finish to a high standard I am getting use to pushing my self to now. I was well out side my comfort zone on every thing to do with this . as in the design and proses of finishing.
if I do another one which I think I will then I will take your comments and do the finishing to a higher standard so thank you.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:24:36 PM »
Dennis....if I might draw your attention to another point. When a mark such as a dimple is repeated to give an overall texture, it has to be either truly random, or regimented in its layout. Unfortunately the dimples that we see (especially in the second picture) appear to be running in clear lines, and fairly equally spaced, creating a distinct pattern in the layout, but then they start to loose order and become more random. For me, this just doesn't work.
The fact that a rustic appearance is required doesn't mean to say that the quality of preparation needs to suffer!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 11:44:48 AM »
Rustic is a strange thing. You've either got to create it almost like the turners of old, a good finish but with sweep marks from the tool (not torn grain) or finish it perfectly first, then take it back carefully to give the illusion of a naive finish.

The only bit of this I like is the coloured work at the edge (in the third photo), it really has some life in it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!