Author Topic: Eucalypt bowl  (Read 5930 times)

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
Eucalypt bowl
« on: October 16, 2017, 10:29:24 AM »
Greetings All
I am relatively new to wood turning and while this is not my first bowl it is the first that I feel comfortable posting here.
Was turned from a old, dry and deeply cracked eucalypt burl. I chose to stabilise it with black pigmented resin prior to turning.
Bowl is 170 by 90, finished with poly, rubbed with 0000 then waxed

I am keen to improve my turning skills so any comments and criticisms are welcome

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Eucalypt bowl
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:39:58 AM »
I like this bowl a lot it is a very nice effect the way tyou have filled the cracks.
Well done

Regards George.
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 10:46:05 AM »
I'd say that is a very decent effort for a first bowl. I am with George: very nice effect with the black fill.
One piece of advice: A completely flat foot can catch you out in the long run. Wood is never 100% at rest, it always moves a little with changes in the weather. And Eucalyptus is particularly know for moving a lot. In consequence you are probably better off with a foot that has a ring and the inside of the ring is recessed a little. If the bowl warps, you have a much better change of it still standing on three points (and therefore being stable).

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »
That is a very attractive bowl, both from the point of view of the form, and of the way that you have stabilised the wood.
Well done...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:28:16 AM »
Nice job Tony

I agree with the other comments looks great from where I'm sitting.

Ed

Online Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
It looks lovely . You are on the road to success  ;)

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:57:18 AM »
George, Fuzzyturns, Les, Ed and wood spinner
Thank you all for taking the time to reply and your comments are appreciated. Using resin to stabilise this piece was a learning exercise for me and I'm glad you like it.
I have been trying to focus on one aspect of turning at a time. Initially tool use, then form and I feel the foot is next. .

Tony
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. (Churchill)

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »

A really unusual piece of wood you have got there , the simplicity of the form and perfect curves set it off very well.
      The dark resin looks natural to me , thought it was until I read the script  :)
      Kind Regards Tony d
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 09:17:27 AM »
Thank you for the comments Tony d. Black pigment was a "Safe" option. May try something a little more colourful with the next one.

Tony

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 01:29:44 PM »
Well done Tony , a very nice piece. Would you care to share what resin and pigment you used?

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 11:28:02 AM »
Thank you for the comments Bowler Hatted Turner. I used a clear epoxy casting resin,Solid Solutions casting resin 606, with a black pigment paste. If using a dark pigment the clear epoxy is not essential. Folk who are serious about casting with resin use a pressure pot to squash internal air bubbles but this was done low tech. The outside form was roughed out with a face plate helping to hold it together, wrapped the form in several layers of glad wrap, went around the sides and base with masking or electrical tape. finally cut the glad wrap off the top of the form and pored the resin into the cracks.
When I turned out the centre I found a number of internal voids that required filling and this became a bit tedious as the resin wouldn't run into the small holes and sanding would then reopen them. 

Have attached a photo to show what the original burl looked like.

Tony
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:29:37 AM by Tony_a »

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 09:01:40 PM »
Thank you for that Tony. Obviously a great deal of attention was given to get the final finish. Well done.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 07:51:17 AM »
Wow, Well done Tony, for a beginner its outstanding.

Offline Tony_a

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 08:48:50 AM »
Thanks Hughie. High praise indeed. I wouldn't post any work on here that I wasn't happy with. If I can see faults in it I don't need others to tell me and I feel that is disrespecting other users of the forum asking them to comment. However, I do believe that constructive critical comment helps me improve my work and one of the reasons I have started posting on this forum is that members don't hold back in saying what they think, constructively of course.

Tony

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 11:22:54 PM »
This bowl has been chosen as turning of the month and is featured on the AWGB website here https://www.awgb.co.uk/awgb-turnings/

Well done Tony!