Author Topic: Ashes Urn  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Schurchy

• copper
Ashes Urn
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:39:20 PM »
Okay, so I was contacted by an old school friend via Facebook asking what wood I used on the rim of a platter I made last year as she wanted something that was Gloss Black. I had to tell her that my platter was turned from one piece of Ash and then I scorched the rim with a blow torch. She then told me that recently her pet dog had to be put down and she was waiting for it's ashes to be returned from the crematorium. She in the meantime was looking online for a suitable receptacle / box in which the ashes could be kept safely but couldn't find anything she liked. At first I had no idea how large a 'box' would be required to hold a Shihtzu's ashes, so I was thinking that I could possibly use one of those African Blackwood clarinet bell blanks you often see. Anyway after a few days of discussion about shape and size, it became apparent that A. Blackwood was not the way to go and so I looked into using Ebonising Lacquer. Here are a couple of photo's of the end piece, with which the customer was over the moon about, stating "It's just how I pictured it in my mind". I hate commission work due to the limited room for 'artistic license', but I must say her reaction made the week and a half work worth while.
A 7" x 4" Sycamore Urn coated with (many layers) ebonising lacquer, cut back with Yorkshire Grit and buffed with high gloss Hampshire Sheen.

P.s The use of a rubber 'O' ring was by design so as to not damage the finish and not as a result of a sloppy fit lid  ::)

C&C Welcome
Steve

It doesn't matter how perfect it looks, there's always room for improvement.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Ashes Urn
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 02:43:38 PM »
Is that a missprint a week and a half  I did one recently for one of my daughter Tracey's Labradors out of Oak.I was suprised how big it had to be.
I dont personnaly like the form but the finish looks good.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 04:19:26 PM »
Is that a missprint a week and a half  I did one recently for one of my daughter Tracey's Labradors out of Oak.I was suprised how big it had to be.
I dont personnaly like the form but the finish looks good.

Regards George

Hi George, Yes a week and a half, but only because of drying times, resprays, etc so an hour or so an evening after work. The turning of the 'box' was done within an hour or two. I did have trouble getting the fit just right, because layers of lacquer changed it.
In all honesty, the whole project isn't to my taste at all. The form is 'OK' (but it's what she wanted) I don't like painting wood and prefer to see at least a percentage of wood on show. So this totally being black and people having to take my word that it's actually made from Sycamore, is not anything I'd like to do too often, but I guess so long as the customer is happy, I should be too. Its been a learning experience and the best thing for me is the discovery of Yorkshire Grit and Hampshire Sheen, WOW! what a game changer.
Steve

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »
I was only joking I realise to get a good finish you have to let each coat go hard.
It is all about having the patiance take as long as it needs.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »
I was only joking I realise to get a good finish you have to let each coat go hard.
It is all about having the patiance take as long as it needs.

Regards George

No offence taken, although I would admit that I'm not the fastest of turners. Incidentally, regarding the shape, I was given a picture of one of those automated battery operated air fresheners as an example and the words, 'something similar to the female form'. I think I'm close ..... otherwise my taste in female body shape needs to be questioned.
Steve

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 07:05:25 AM »
Hi Steve

You have got a very nice finish to your urn. It show that you have taken your time and put in a lot of effort.

Even if it's not to your taste I bet your old school friend was very happy to have something crafted so well for her pet.

All the best

Ed

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 11:54:47 AM »
Hi Steve

You have got a very nice finish to your urn. It show that you have taken your time and put in a lot of effort.

Even if it's not to your taste I bet your old school friend was very happy to have something crafted so well for her pet.

All the best

Ed

Cheers Ed, the lacquer inspiration came from your demo at Southdowns Woodturners when you showed your 'wire' effect hollow form. Thanks also for the prompt delivery of the order I made in order to achieve this for her.

Steve
Steve