Author Topic: "Hand made"....but what does that mean?  (Read 5869 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: "Hand made"....but what does that mean?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 06:11:42 PM »
... I struggle though to see cards etc made from bits simply bought in and stuck together. ...

Pete, I think you struggle with the lack of effort that goes into these "hand-made" items (and so do I).
As far as I am concerned, yes, they are hand-made, but as always there's a wide range in quality and substance.
Perhaps to some extent Fuzzy but having seen a lot of these things done  at the smaller sort of craft fairs I wouldn't call them hand made simply made from things others have produced and stuck together. Probably sounds arrogant but there are a lot of things that can perhaps be called hand made but have little originality or thought for design etc. Maybe I define the term too tightly.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 08:27:33 PM »
There is a chance in the next few months that I am going to cut down a Maple tree growing in my garden. Now I planted it over 20 years ago so if I then turn it does that count as hand made? After all I am growing my own timber.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 08:59:09 PM »
There is a chance in the next few months that I am going to cut down a Maple tree growing in my garden. Now I planted it over 20 years ago so if I then turn it does that count as hand made? After all I am growing my own timber.
...and it brings a whole new meaning to the wartime expression of "grow your own".
Seriously, though, it's good to see that (essentially) we are all of a similar mind.

p.s. ... if there's any gnarled or knotty lumps in that maple, and you just don't know what to do with them, I'd appreciate a call before Pete MJ gets in on the scene!  ;D
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.