Author Topic: High quality pen kits  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
High quality pen kits
« on: September 24, 2017, 07:26:10 AM »
I'm about to put together a range of items for sale within an 5-star hotel which has asked me to help them to run a little shop in their foyer, selling high quality, locally made art and craftwork. Rooms at this establishment can command over £1000 a night, so quality is the key!
I'm therefore looking for the highest quality pen kits that I can get. To date, I've found the Beaufort Ink Mistral, with its titanium gold/rhodium components, but there must be more out there.
Just wondering who's buying what and where they source it!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: High quality pen kits
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 08:32:39 AM »
Les try getting in touch with Ron Caddy.

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 12:42:58 PM »
I'm about to put together a range of items for sale within an 5-star hotel which has asked me to help them to run a little shop in their foyer, selling high quality, locally made art and craftwork. Rooms at this establishment can command over £1000 a night, so quality is the key!
I'm therefore looking for the highest quality pen kits that I can get. To date, I've found the Beaufort Ink Mistral, with its titanium gold/rhodium components, but there must be more out there.
Just wondering who's buying what and where they source it!
Les

Beaufort Inks and Taylors Mirfield (which is also British Made Pen Kits) are the high quality suppliers in UK.  I'm sure you realise it's not just the kit,but the combination of kit and blank which makes a high quality pen.Some clients will go for wood but others will prefer acrylics or hybrids.There are hundreds or thousands of choices out there.
Another thing to bear in mind that just because a person can afford £1000 for a room it doesn't mean they know what quality is these days.
There is  fb group  UK Pen Turners which I'm sure you'd find helpfull.

Regards,
Mike.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 07:26:00 AM »
Les as BHT said Ron Caddy is your man.

Phil Dart at Beaufort Inks, Dan Smith Taylors Mirfield, Alex Bellringer British Made Pen Kits. (You can talk to Dan or Alex for either of those companies)

The Mistral 22ct Gold/Rhodium a good high end kit, I've got these in stock.

All the best

Ed

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »
I agree with the recommendations above about Phil and Dan not only do they supply good kits but the service is also good.

If making fountain pens then get some Bock nibs if they do not already come with them as well as some decent refills again these can be supplied by Phil of Beaufort Inks if in doubt a phone call to him will put you right.

There is nothing worse than making a great pen and the refill feels scratchy

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the info....it is much appreciated.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.