Author Topic: Its Olive  (Read 2839 times)

Offline mikes

• iron
Its Olive
« on: September 23, 2017, 11:20:50 PM »
I have just been browsing a number of posts from a while ago which all carried the theme of newbies not posting in the gallery.
So folks, here's my two penn'orth. A fairly poor picture of a fairly mundane pen but . . .
 . . . It is/was the first turning I had done in about 12 months.
I had a couple of medical 'episodes' and also had cataract ops on both eyes so this producing this piece of mediocrity has pleased me enormously.
It's an early step on the way 'home' as it were, so please be kind (but honest)!!

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Its Olive
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:42:26 PM »
A good effort as a starter back into the hobby.

The only things that I can see straight away are
1 Where the top blank meets the centre band this needs to have a little more attention to the size of the blank to the band. If it is slightly off centre then turn the blank on the mandrel by 1/4 of a turn right near the end of the sanding. This can also mean that you possibly may have a bent mandrel. I tend to turn between centres or if using a mandrel have a saver in the tailstock this helps a lot.
2 Pay a little attention to the finish if you catch the bushes and sand them it can pick up very fine metal and as can be seen make the end of the blank look dirty.
Hope this helps and if you are doing things different to what I think is wrong please let me know

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:21:49 AM »
Hi Mike, and thanks for posting.
The overall impresion is good; it's only when one enlarges the image that the finer detail becomes clear. If you open the image, then click to enlarge it, the end of the timber in the cap, where it abuts its plastic component, gives the impression that it wasn't fully trimmed with a barrel trimmer before turning. As Derek pointed out, any micro-fine dust sanded off the bushes then contaminates the timber, in this case by getting into the ragged grain. Maybe this is something that your average Joe-public wouldn't notice, but I find that when every detail is right and you offer that perfect pen for sale, even the average Joe-public seems to notice that it's a piece of quality....it's what helps you to sell at a higher price.
Don't be daunted....keep up the good work and do please have another go.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline mikes

• iron
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen.
A real learning experience. First real critique I've had on my work - makes you think!!
I'll try some more pens over the next few weeks and try to implement all your suggestions.
Thanks again.
Mike.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 02:03:52 PM »
    Mike  as already been said the overall impression is good.... The contamination in the centre certainly requires thought.
    Could it be some kind of solvent attacking the parts. Only a thought though.
    Kind Regards Tony d

Ps If the olive was not dry it attacks all metals with vengeance .... as you will see from the pit marks in your tools
   if left un cleaned . It might be worth soaking or sanding the olive in soapy water to neutralise beforehand .
   Regards Tony
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:17:18 PM by georg »
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 06:08:18 AM »
Hi Mike

I have to agree with the other comments.

When I do the odd pen I use high magnification reading glasses then you can see every detail. If you can not see any marks while looking at the pen through them, then no one will be able to spot anything  :)

Look forward to seeing the next one.

Ed

Offline mikes

• iron
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »
Tony and Ed.
Many thanks to you also.
I had another look at the pen yesterday and the blackening is not visible to (my) naked eye!! However, on magnification it is clearly there as is the roughness of the finish.
So, new blank trimmer bought and head mounted magnifier is on the birthday list.  The trimmer is/was old and tired so was due for replacement anyway and the family has been asking for birthday hints. Sorted (perhaps!). Will be trying again this week and will post the outcome.
Thanks again fellas.
Mike.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 03:53:23 PM »
Tony and Ed.
Many thanks to you also.
I had another look at the pen yesterday and the blackening is not visible to (my) naked eye!! However, on magnification it is clearly there as is the roughness of the finish.
So, new blank trimmer bought and head mounted magnifier is on the birthday list.  The trimmer is/was old and tired so was due for replacement anyway and the family has been asking for birthday hints. Sorted (perhaps!). Will be trying again this week and will post the outcome.
Thanks again fellas.
Mike.

I no longer use a blank trimmer but instead use a sander to clean up the ends and transfer punches leaves a cleaner finish

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »
Mikes my comments will echo those already here so I will make a different comment. It may appear to be a turning of mediocrity to you but without the skills at your finger tips it could just as easily have been a piece of fire wood with a pen cartridge in. I think you have done a good job here bearing in mind that you have not been turning for so long.
Derek you mention a "saver" in the tail stock, not sure if I have heard about this before , would you care to explain a bit more please?

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:10:33 PM »
Derek you mention a "saver" in the tail stock, not sure if I have heard about this before , would you care to explain a bit more please?

It is one of THESE instead of a revolving centre pushing up against the mandrel this pushes against the bushes this helps prevent the mandrel bending and causing off centre pen blanks from being turned. But like most things the mandrel must also be straight to start with and the lathe centres lined up

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 12:50:23 PM »
I'm not a pen turner by any stretch of the imagination. A friend who is says the hardest thing is getting wood with a good colour or grain that stands up to the challenge of only being a very small piece of wood when you make the pen.

Olive seems to take this challenge well, being a highly figured wood, well done.

So great post for someone making their way back from medical issues and thanks for posting.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 05:03:28 PM »
For pen turning tips and a demonstration on the sander method of trimming blanks look up rjb woodturner on youtube. or whatcha doin bob

Fred