Author Topic: Bowl Facelift  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Bowl Facelift
« on: September 22, 2017, 05:44:08 PM »
I have been asked by my dear mum for a bowl she can give to a dear friend as a Christmas present. The friend is quite religious so I cleaned the inside so the finish did not give any problems when using the Pyrography machine. I am happy with the outcome just hope it is what is needed.
I have not decorated more than half a dozen pieces with the machine. I even put a name and wood type on the bottom does this look OK and should I continue to burn this on the bottom of my pieces in other words does it look tidy enough

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Bowl Facelift
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:04:48 PM »
The praying hands look quite good, but the freehand writing on the underside is not as neat. A good little aid to neat writing under bowls is to cut two concentric rings with the tip of a skew chisel - and then a third ring nearer the centre. Once finished, the concentric pair form a good guide for the letter height and help to make the writing neater.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 07:16:35 PM »
The praying hands look quite good, but the freehand writing on the underside is not as neat. A good little aid to neat writing under bowls is to cut two concentric rings with the tip of a skew chisel - and then a third ring nearer the centre. Once finished, the concentric pair form a good guide for the letter height and help to make the writing neater.

Les

Will remember that for the next bowl I turn this was one that was previously turned thanks for the tip Les.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 07:17:28 PM »
Lovely job I like it a lot

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 09:15:29 PM »

Hi Derek,
               Lovely bowl and the art work is excellent.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Sandy

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:30:39 PM »
Very nice work Derek, and a good tip from Les that'll I'll need to remember too.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:12:18 PM »
Thank you George, John and Sandy.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 06:41:57 AM »
Nice work Derek the hands look great  :)

All the best

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 08:31:07 AM »
The pyro'd hands look really well done. The name etc u derneath are perhaps not to the same standard but pyro work in a curve is not the easiest to do. Les's advice is good.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 07:10:13 PM »

This piece for us Derek ticks all the boxes  .. Well Done.
   Kind Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 11:35:08 PM »
Thank you Ed, Pete and Georg.

Yes Pete have taken Les's advice on board I may in the future think of a branding iron for the name.

And on a good note.
My dear old mum (94) has seen a photo today via my sister and she loves it and she is sure her friend will be over the moon. So I got that one right

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:56:35 PM »
Two things from me here.

The pyro work is sufficiently delicate to add to the simplicity of the bowls shape to create a feeling of balance. Neither are vying for your attention above the other.

I've only had a few goes with my pyro pen, this is an encouragement to get it out and try again.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »
Two things from me here.

The pyro work is sufficiently delicate to add to the simplicity of the bowls shape to create a feeling of balance. Neither are vying for your attention above the other.

I've only had a few goes with my pyro pen, this is an encouragement to get it out and try again.

I always have a piece of wood beside me so that before committing to the wood I can try and see if I have the heat set correctly for what I want to do as well as to try a new tip if I have made one.
This was only my forth attempt at doing a picture and maybe felt as though I was trying something beyond my abilities having said that I was very pleased at how it came out and gives me encouragement to do more in the future. No doubt there will be failures which I will learn from.