Author Topic: Tealight & candle holders  (Read 3336 times)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Tealight & candle holders
« on: September 21, 2017, 05:18:14 PM »
Does anyone recall a recent thread explaining the need for some kind of holder for tea lights and candles in wood?

Some turners appear to be suggesting it is OK to place the candle straight on top of the wood without any holder.

Ta.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
Re: Tealight & candle holders
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 05:51:02 PM »
David,
21st Feb 2015 & 23 April 2013 for starters, there are others as well.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:18:41 PM »
...Some turners appear to be suggesting it is OK to place the candle straight on top of the wood without any holder....

..there will always be people, in any hobby or profession, who remain dinosaurs and give in to their own laziness and disregard for safety, to make and sometimes sell dangerous goods whilst taking refuge behind their claim that the safety measures are not necessary.

THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 07:33:59 PM »
I just remind people that if one of their products, (without a separate holder) is found to be the cause of any fire, the financial repercussions will be horrendous, especially now we have numerous companies offering to pursue legal claims for damages advertising on the TV, Radio, papers and internet.

For the sake of a few seconds more time turning and an extra cost of 50p per candle, not worth the risk, in my humble opinion.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 07:46:41 PM »
Having a candle or t light direct;ly ontp wood is perfectly safe....................as long as you don't light it. For those who seem to be ignorant of the facts the candle is not the problem it is that little flame at the top that eventually becomes a little flame at the bottom as the wax melts that can then be hot enough to char and even set fir to the wood that it is based on. Wood and wax are imflammable which means thaey can catch fire.
No apologies for the ever so slightly sarcastic tone. Fed up with people who are so stupid as to even consider doing this.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 07:51:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Just confirms what we thought. We will put the appropriate info in our next newsletter to avoid any problems for our members.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 09:02:43 AM »
I went to a car boot sale a while back and someone was selling bits of tree branches with a hole filled with wax and a wick. The waxes were all different colours and looked lovely but of course they were deadly. As is my nature I had to bring the dangers of this to the stall holder's attention, basically I was told to **** off and mind my own business. So glad this was not in my neck off the woods.
It does happen and it should be frowned on and as responsible turners we should do all we can to discourage it.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 04:01:22 PM »
...I had to bring the dangers of this to the stall holder's attention....
I found myself in a very similar position recently, John. An advert kept cropping up in one of the Facebook groups for craftwork in Wales. It was for three short pieces of dry log, arranged to fit into a fireplace; the front log being on the floor, the middle and the rear logs rising above and behind them, but each was drilled out to accept 4 or 5 tea lights. Just imagine the heat that lot generated. I messaged the maker and was given the same reply that you had, so I messaged the group moderator, who ignored me. Out of desperation, I logged a case with the maker's local trading standards office, who  acknowledged my complaint, but who have not got back to me since. Meanwhile, the "Tea-light-inferno" continues to appear in adverts.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 07:48:23 PM »
At the end of the day Les we have taken our civic duties seriously, shame others don't. But as long as I feel that I have done my best to highlight dangerous practices, when something happens I don't feel guilty.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 09:35:46 PM »
Like you both (Les & John) I have spoken up at some of the shows only to be treated as if I was simply trying to undermine their sales. Maybe have a sign saying something like.

"Please note that all our work involving t lights candles etc have non immflamable inserts for your protection. Be advised, never purchase such items without such inserts."

Be interesting how other vendors would react.

Pete

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
I stopped using wax tea lights a few years ago and 'switched' to battery operated ones (£1.99 for 12 off Amazon) which last in excess of 36 hours use.  I have a relative who is a Fire Prevention Officer and he related to me the aftermath of what he had seen due to wax tea lights causing fires.  Although I already used a non flammable barrier between tea light and wood, this removed all doubt.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 09:20:45 PM »
Trouble is Dave, the opening to hold a battery operated "candle" is the same size as one to hold a tea light. Once the battery has stopped working people would be tempted to buy a bag of tea lights cheap rather than an expensive (£1.99 per doz) safe option. If you don't have a barrier fitted they will not bother fitting one themselves so yours might be a dangerous option too.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 10:45:08 PM »
I do make tea light holders as well as candle holders but never supply the candles, even then all the ones I do make have an insert in ready to drop a candle into as well as a small piece of paper explaining the dangers of using candles/t lights

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 12:57:06 AM »
If you are going to sell candles or t lights with your holders you ideally need to have a warning notice with them even if it is something daft such as 'Warning, may get hot'. Occasionally we cheat and give a candle free of charge though usually we display with beeswax candles as they are much better looking for display so don't give those away as they are more expensive. Be aware that whilst there is no specific legislation relating to candles that you sell if there is a fire because of misuse of them you can be held liable so insurance is something that you need to think about there. Personally I think it is a minefield that is best avoided.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:29:18 PM by bodrighywood »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 09:20:32 PM »
I do a demo about making candlesticks and tealights. I make sure that I explain the dangers of selling candles and put out the attached flyer for everyone to take a copy. Just so the club members know the rules.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!