Author Topic: AWGB question  (Read 1931 times)

Online Wood spinner

• platinum
AWGB question
« on: September 18, 2017, 02:46:34 PM »
Anyone know how many members / clubs are involved with the AWGB ?

I know the managment of the AWGB are promoting the hobby but why is there so little action on the forum ?

Would it be better to promote the web site with each club having a club web site within the AWGB site , or each AWGB member being invited to join up as a individual ?

Or have I missed something ?

Thanks

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: AWGB question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »
It is a question I have been asking for years there are a lot of watchers and just a few who get involved

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 03:20:32 PM »
It's the same on most forums especially nowadays with people using Facebook and Twitter.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 03:29:12 PM »
Derwent Woodturning Club regularly post whats going on at their next meeting in the Events Forum.

It would be nice to see each club do this, at least then those lurkers who peak in could see what was going on local to them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
There are around 3200 individual members and just over 120 clubs.

For the e-bulletin I send out by email, there are approx 2100 recipients. The other 1100 members haven't supplied us with an email address. Some of those might not have one and may not have a computer!

We have a couple of pages with all the clubs on. Both of those have links to club websites we have been told about. Most clubs have their own websites so don't need us to provide one. We also offer to list events, promote via Facebook etc. and carry adverts in Revolutions.

Affiliated club members are all individual members of the AWGB. It's only the associated club members who may not be individual members. There are also individual members who aren't members of any clubs.

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 10:29:10 PM »
why is there so little action on the forum ?
I think the amount of 'action' is just about right and what I would expect.
Woodturning is a fairly niche subject, so will never be a mass market subject. I wouldn't expect a lot of newcomers will start by coming here, it appears to be for more experienced practitioners.
Frankly, a lack of the beginner's questions that could be answered with a few seconds on Google is one rather endearing aspect of this forum.

I also don't think it would be helpful to have sub forums for individual clubs, it would be too much clutter.