Author Topic: Lidded bowl  (Read 1914 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Lidded bowl
« on: October 08, 2017, 07:07:02 PM »
I had the rough turned bowl lying around in the workshop for well over a year, could even be 2 years. I couldn't quite decide what to do with it, because there was a rusty nail embedded in the wood, and after removing it, I had a big black hole. First I thought, maybe I just turn a recess there and then do some meander inlay or similar. I didn't want to turn the whole thing off, and the wood was way to pretty to throw it away.
Recently I took it out and finally decided to do something with it. So instead of an inlay ring underneath the rim, I decided to remove most of the bad stuff, and came up with a quite fancy rim design. Then it lay around the workshop some more, and every time I had a visitor, they would pick it up and say: where is the lid for it?
This got me thinking that I'd better go and make a lid. The piece of  purpleheart was just a little too small, so I decided to surround it with a segmented ring. The design of the ring is actually more by accident than deliberation, as I just grabbed a handful of walnut offcuts and when they didn't quite stretch to the required diameter, started adding slices of oak until it worked.
Once the lid was done, it dawned on me that a normal foot on the bowl would just look strange and/or boring, so off came the foot and now it stands on 3 little walnut spheres.
As usual, all critique and comments welcome.

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Lidded bowl
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »
I do like the look of this and it is great to hear how all the parts came about

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »
Fuzzy,

I think the story behind the making of this piece is as important as the final bowl.  I'm quite sure many of us (myself certainly) have part finished, not sure what to do with..., how should I finish..., turnings laying around. This piece should be an example to all of us to look at them anew and with a different eye to see what can be done to make them into something worthwhile.

As for the bowl itself, you don't give any dimensions, but I like the look of the lid fit, the taper to make it sit centred is different but more particularly an easy off and easy on, one hand lift fit. Because of that, and the attractive nature of the bowl, I see it as a trinket box on a ladies dressing table.

Best of luck with it, you've done well making something from a forgotten leftover.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 12:34:42 PM »
It's a little too big for a ladies dressing table: about 10" diameter and about 5" high.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 02:06:25 PM »
Well....I read through this without any of the images being in view and I was beginning to wonder what such an "accidental" design was going to look like, but fear not, when I scrolled down to the images I liked what I saw. Despite it being such a conglomeration of ideas, it all seems to work well together.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
Thanks all for the feedback. I am a firm believer in leaving things to find the right inspiration. Obviously, if I have a particular design in mind, I draw it onto a sketchpad and then from there it's all about implementing that drawing. But sometimes I just allow myself the time for things to come to me instead, and this is one of those cases.