Author Topic: club demo bowl.  (Read 2252 times)

Offline wider

• gold
club demo bowl.
« on: September 16, 2017, 05:30:08 PM »
on Wednesday I was at Eden valley woodturners and turned a natural edge square bowl and a snow man and a mushroom. here is the bowl I turned. it was finished at home with the sanding and finish. all comments welcome.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: club demo bowl.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:40:49 AM »
I like the simple shape. To me (personal taste) the square rim is a little on the heavy side. Not sure what the wood is, could be a type of eucalyptus. I think it's a little bland, and as a result the overall impression is unfortunately not particularly exciting, even though the execution seems to be very good.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 03:36:16 PM »
thank you for the comments. the timber is cherry. it is rather bland but it was used to show the club members the method I use to turn winged bowls. I think the demo went well and a lot of them learned a few different ways of doing things. the other thing that I have noticed is the amount of turners that openly say that they would use a spindle roughing gouge to turn this type of bowl. I think they genuinely think that the use of this tool is ok to use .

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 09:37:42 AM »
OMG. Using a spindle roughing gouge on any bowl is dangerous, and on square winged bowl it is positively asking to be hurt. I do hope you could instill this into the audience.

For demos, I think this kind of result is good, since it allows people to focus on the technique instead of the beauty of the wood.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 01:12:19 PM »

Not one of my favourite designs .. But that does not distract from the skill required or the finish you have achieved.
   I'm sure they appreciated the method used for holding and tool work.
   Kind Regards Tony

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »
They wont use a SRG when the tang snaps and suffer the consequences

Glad the demo worked out well  :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 01:05:18 PM »
What can you say, the bark stayed on, one photo makes it look like the rim narrows but I think that is a trick of the camera the in the other pictures the rim is certainly a constant thickness.

Not an easy piece to demonstrate at a demo, certainly not to a good finish in the time you'd get in an evening anyway.

Well done on standing up and demonstrating for the club.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!