Author Topic: Graduate lathes/ jubilee lathes  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Redtails3

• copper
Graduate lathes/ jubilee lathes
« on: September 28, 2017, 04:22:52 PM »
Hi
 Has anybody got experience of using both these lathes?
I am not interested in personal preferences what i want to know is the footprint and weight for both of these machines the same.
The mechanicals at this moment in time are of no interest whatsoever.
I am looking at two bog standard lathes.
  (B)Is there much difference in the weight of a short bed graduate and a normal length bed jubilee lathe?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Graduate lathes/ jubilee lathes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 05:03:05 PM »
Hi
 Has anybody got experience of using both these lathes?
I am not interested in personal preferences what i want to know is the footprint and weight for both of these machines the same.
The mechanicals at this moment in time are of no interest whatsoever.
I am looking at two bog standard lathes.
  (B)Is there much difference in the weight of a short bed graduate and a normal length bed jubilee lathe?

Have you checked out lathes.co.uk? http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrisonwood/index.html...the info you need might be there
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:37:34 PM »
Hi
Thanks for your input but it's not a picture or a photograph I need it's a physical comparison from someone who has owned or used these two lathes

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:26:19 PM »
Hi Redtails,
This doesn't answer your original question but just some advice. Watch out if you are buying a Union Graduate as a now defunct company in the UK had copies of the Union Graduate made in China, and imported to  the UK. Needless to say the quality was not up to standard.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Retire2004

• iron
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 11:59:04 PM »
Hi Redtails 3
The Graduate is 6 inch centre height and constructed almost entirely of cast iron, whilst the Jubilee is 5 inch centre height but only the bed, tailstock and banjo are cast iron. The headstock is a square section (viewed from above) and fabricated from mild steel plate as is the motor platform and outboard turning rest, also the rear bed support leg. Both machines occupy roughly the same footprint space.
The standard Jubilee weighs-in at about 280 kg. Not sure about the Graduate but has to be heavier at say 330 kg (guess).
I would imagine that a short bed Graduate would weigh pretty much the same as a standard Jubilee. Hope this helps. Can you advise your reason for asking?

Kind Regards Tudor

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »
Hi Tudor
 Many thanks for your reply the reason I framed the original question in the way I did was I did not want any bias creeping into the statements from the fans of these two lathes.
I would like to purchase one of these two lathes in the near future.
And finally I went to see a jubilee lathe for and was disappointed at it's size I can see why  schools bought them.
The word bijou springs to mind when describing them.