Author Topic: RP3000 chuck - missing pin  (Read 2810 times)

Offline onetruth

• iron
RP3000 chuck - missing pin
« on: September 13, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new here, will introduce myself properly later...

I have just bought a 2nd hand RP3000X chuck package which, irritatingly, is missing the pin for the pin chuck. I assume this is a simple cylindrical piece of steel. I am hoping I can just cut a nail to length and use that. Am I deluded? If not, can anyone tell me the diameter needed, please?

Also, one of the springs on the compression jaws has broken (probably when being delivered - it didn't come in original box). Is this likely to cause me any problems?

Thanks all very much!

Tom.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: RP3000 chuck - missing pin
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:15:15 PM »
I know nothing about this chuck but i guess thr RP stands for Record Power http://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/chucking-systems-jaws--spares
Worth making a Tel call the might be able to help you

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline onetruth

• iron
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:10:09 AM »
Yes, it does, but I think it was discontinued some time ago, and I have the manual so I suspect they wouldn't be able to offer any more info.
I have, however, received confirmation from other users that the pin is essentially just a bit of steel rod, so I'm confident I'll be able to find something suitable to replace it with.

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »
If you measure the depth of the flat at its mid point; let's say for the sake of argument that it is 4mm. Take a 3.5mm HSS drill and cut the fluted portion off, using an angle grinder. The plain shaft will then make your pin.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 05:11:19 PM »
HOWEVER.........
Pin chucks are rarely used these days for the simple reason that they have a nasty habit of letting you turn your nice project but then refuse to release its grip until breakage occurs. If you do choose the pin chuck path make sure enough of the pin is outside the hole so you can gat a grip on it if needs be. My advice might be to use a friction chuck..... a carefully sized wooden spigot turned specifically to fit tightly into the same hole required by the pin chuck ..... The extra precision required will also help to move your tool handling skills on in leaps and bounds.
all the best with whatever you decide
Brian