Author Topic: Spalted Beech form  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Paul.J

• copper
Spalted Beech form
« on: September 08, 2017, 01:59:09 PM »
Hi folks my first images of my work on here and first time I've posted on any forum showing my work in ages so thoughts are welcome good or bad. ;D
This is a spalted Beech hollow form 8" tall and 6" wide finished with a gloss lacquer.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:08:56 PM by Paul.J »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Spalted Beech form
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
Hello Paul....a good first post.
I'm not a turner of hollow forms, so my words express my personal views and are not necessarily those of more experienced turners.

I like the overall shape, although I do feel that the base tapers down a little too much and just looks a little unstable. At the neck/opening, I would have preferred to have seen a break-line between the convex curve of the form and the concave curve of the neck.
Good finish!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Paul.J

• copper
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »
Wow what a fantastic response  ::)
Thank you for replying Les ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:06:17 AM »
I agree with Les about the taper, for my taste it looks a little fat though getting the curve to continue down as you have is not an easy thing to achieve. I don't mind the lttle neck personally as it curves nicely into it. My only real dislike kis the finish, I am not a fan of lacquered finishes as they look too much like varnish for me and would prefer a polished or oiled one but all this is personal taste so no real criticisms from me. If this kis ylour first be  interesting to see what you will acjieve as you do more,
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »

I don't have a problem with the shape as most H/F  are down to personal choice, although sometimes a too smaller base
  can make them look unsteady .... what you have achieved though on a very heavily spalted wood is a great finish which
  shows the spalting really well. Your photography is well done creating a almost 3D effect. Looking forward to seeing
  more of your posts.
  Regards Tony d

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 06:15:40 AM »
Hi Paul

I do a lot of hollow forms and I have to say there's nothing about this that I don't like.

I'd be happy to have turned it and posted it on a forum  :)

All the best

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
Paul,

a wonderfully figures bit of beech. you've done it proud, the flow of the curve around the form is smooth all the way, with no discernible shape changes.

The finish is a little high gloss for the size of the form, I find high gloss on small items works but not so much on large items but this is a personal taste.

The neck could have been on a slightly raised section, as a collar, it would have delineated it better, the flowing curve you've created is reminicscent of a potters work, again, this is a personal taste.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!