Author Topic: £630 for a turning blank ? wow  (Read 7640 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: £630 for a turning blank ? wow
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 02:11:12 PM »
out of the source/prep/turn/finish/pack i only do two.

i turn and sand/finish.

what do you mean by the others precisely?

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 02:23:56 PM »
what do you mean by the others precisely?
You presumably need to source the timber, ie call/email merchants for stock ? Then cut to size ready for turning. It's all time that needs accounting for when running a business.

My experience of working LV is that is a very hard, difficult timber to prep.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »
i only had to cut it into discs which isn't hard with a nice big ripsaw that goes through 6 1/4" so i rolled it through twice each time and got some discs within 20 mins. it did take me 10 mins to cut in half with a panel saw though. i get repeat custom from this place so i'm happy to keep prices a bit lower that if i was doing a one off for them.

i'm crap at running a business so have probably not made nearly as much over the years as i should have.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 04:28:48 PM »
result...

just scored what is effectively half of one of these cylinders for a great price...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lignum/152690602754?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

i'd never pay £630 of my own money for one of those cylinders but i will spend £50 for just over half of one...

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »
Feeling cuffed about now.

Bought a Lignum headed Lead Beaters mallet for only £1 at a fund raising table a couple of weekends ago.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »
I was told to throw some LV bowls in a skip, as my car was nearby I got a bit confused and opened the boot by mistake!
Ron

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »
I was told to throw some LV bowls in a skip, as my car was nearby I got a bit confused and opened the boot by mistake!
Ron

Bin - Boot, easy to mistake.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 05:06:27 PM »
i only had to cut it into discs which isn't hard with a nice big ripsaw that goes through 6 1/4" so i rolled it through twice each time and got some discs within 20 mins. it did take me 10 mins to cut in half with a panel saw though. i get repeat custom from this place so i'm happy to keep prices a bit lower that if i was doing a one off for them.

i'm crap at running a business so have probably not made nearly as much over the years as i should have.
The AWGB does not advocate rolling timber through any type of saw, a carriage is the safest method to use.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 08:22:30 PM »
i don't have any sort of carriage for a saw.

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 09:30:50 PM »
i don't have any sort of carriage for a saw.
DIY sled would be safer.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 01:23:00 AM »
in my opinion it is safer to know what you are doing with the machines you work with and to know how the timber will cut. the day i cut something off i will happily eat my words.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 09:07:28 AM »
in my opinion it is safer to know what you are doing with the machines you work with and to know how the timber will cut. the day i cut something off i will happily eat my words.
Precisely why the AWGB guides it's members towards safe working practices. The safest way to cut a round piece of timber(on any type of saw) is by using a sled of somesort.The timber should be firmly fixed in place, when using a circular saw the saw teeth should protrude through the workpiece by at least 10mm and a top guard and riving knife should be correctly placed. On a bandsaw the blade should be guarded to prevent fingers being able to slip into the blade, therefore should be set about 10mm above the cut.
REGARDLESS OF HOW BLASE OTHER MEMBERS ARE ABOUT HEALTH AND SAFETY I WILL ALWAYS ADVOCATE THAT OUR MEMBERS SHOULD WORK SAFELY.

Offline APH

• bronze
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
i will happily eat my words.
Happily ?? You won't be at all happy if you're sitting in A&E dripping blood wondering if the surgeons can sew your finger back on or you've permanently lost the sight in an eye.
Accidents with woodworking machinery happen so fast you can't react.

The smart thing to do is learn from other's mistakes so you don't suffer the same pain. Follow best recommended practice and stay safe.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 09:46:18 AM »
I use a simple vee shaped sled on the band saw (no circular saw) which I find works a treat, also for the pillar drill, easy to make, disposable and cheap, ticks all the boxes. I am sure that we are all guilty of pushing the H & S recommendations at times, either from laziness or just being blasé, I would wager that dust filtration in our workshops would be top of that list!
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
Also remember that those whom are (or are supposed to be) experienced aren't necessarily the safest people to emulate. As said we can all get blase but we need to be aware that new turners will assume that because we do something it must be right.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities