Author Topic: Two good days....  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Two good days....
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »
Well maybe not so good. Yesterday a piece of wood decided to fly out of the chuck where does it go yes you got it straight for the face the good news is that I wear a full face respirator, made me jump and the cause of this I had a catch without the tailstock in place. Then today turning away and I hear a noise and wonder why I can.t see anything one of the lenses decided to fall out of my glasses and again the respirator to the rescue as I was wearing it and the lens was caught so nothing was lost. Good job I have a spare set so that I could see to repair them.
Now lets see if I can burn the house down as I am working on a hollow form with the pyrography machine

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Two good days....
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »
Derek glad it  only frightened you and did not cause injury. As the H&S person I am pleased that you were wearing a full face respirator. May I use this post to remind our members to check and double check how securely your wood is mounted on the lathe and to be aware that a heavy cut planned or unplanned may disrupt the equilibrium of your workpiece. Moving the tailstock up for support will also will help
with the security of your work when turning.