Author Topic: Apple or Android  (Read 4401 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Apple or Android
« on: September 01, 2017, 08:37:09 PM »
I am going to buy a new Tablet and I do not know enough about them so which is best Apple or Android

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Apple or Android
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 09:25:25 AM »
I use android George and I get on quite well with it but I have never used Apple so I don't feel qualified to pass judgement. Good luck you silver surfer!! 8) 8) :o

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »
George,
I have been using an iPad for the past five years and it's  been easy to use and has (up to now) given me no problems.  If I was looking to replace it though, I would seriously look at alternatives as now I am retired, cost is very important and the android tablets seem to be a lot cheaper than the current iPads.

Dave
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »
I have an ndroid and don't have a problem with it. As said Apple tend to be a lot more expensive. Only thing that ittitates me is is trying to send emails, a problem I have on my phone as well. Can recieve but not send. Apparently a common thing with android but OK if you use a google email server so I am told by my teenage whizz kid grandson.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »
George,
Have had both Android and Apple tablets. Apple is streets ahead in my opinion. Expensive but worth every penny.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
Apple tablets are designed for those you might consider less technically able and many of the configuration options are either removed or made less easily found but if you want to keep things simple, that might be a plus. Apple devices are also generally more expensive than the alternatives because you are basically paying for the name and there is only one contender to choose from. Android devices are available from more manufacturers so the competition brings the price down.

Generally speaking owners of either will say theirs is best! I suggest you go to one of the big stores and try out a few different ones to see which you prefer.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 10:46:26 AM »
Thank you everybody for your imput but I think Paul is right people seem to support the system they have.
I am going to visit Currys and see if I can learn more the troble is you usualy get some spotty 14 year old trying to make a sale.

Regards George

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 12:18:58 PM »
Hello George
We had an android pad which I was quite happy with. Problems arose when we wanted to use it along with PayPal here to take payments. It wasn't compatible however that was about 2 years ago. We switched to an IPad, which I took a wee while to get to grips with as we had never used any apple products. To get to the point it has been great to use along with PayPal and I have found it very good for using with social media, mostly twitter. The camera seems adequate for stills or video. I bought a good protective case for it and it has survived the workshop visits too. It was a reconditioned unit direct from Apple, managed to save a few quid that way and it looked like new. I'm no tech whiz but it certainly met our needs so far, touch wood 😉
Cheers
Michael

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
I use an iPad Pro and find it very good and easy. I understand that android systems have trouble making connections with other systems and devices as mentioned above, but certainly no issues there with the iPad. They are more expensive but if you are not very computer literate, as I am, then I would go for the iPad.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »
Thank you all for your imput I have bought a Chrome ASUS just got to work out how to use it now

Regards George

Offline Docjohn

• iron
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 07:28:06 PM »
Hi George
I'm certainly no computer/gadget expert ???
The only thing I know is some APPs do not run on both, if you know any that you want/need, make certain they are available on the one you choose!
Good luck
John

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 07:40:22 PM »
Thank you all for your imput I have bought a Chrome ASUS just got to work out how to use it now

Regards George

Best advice I can give is get Ali or some other young person to show you LOL.

Pete

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
I am looking for a 5 year old to help me Pete  :D :D :D

Regards George

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 07:54:39 PM »
Even better. I reckon they learn how to use the things before they can read LOL.

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 10:55:51 PM »
Even better. I reckon they learn how to use the things before they can read LOL.

Pete

Half the time I think they are surgically implanted at birth as the know more about them than I every will