Author Topic: To burn or not to burn  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
To burn or not to burn
« on: August 28, 2017, 06:50:43 PM »
I keep looking at this bowl which is not yet finished foot still needs to be taken off and more cleaning of the edge. Would this be better to have the natural edge burnt using a pyrography machine, the wife say no but can't make up my mind. I've included a shot of the bottom just for interest

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: To burn or not to burn
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:14:08 PM »
 Hi Derek,
               I like it as it is Natural and I must what a lovely piece of work However if SWMBO says leave it as it is that should be good enough, ;D what are the dimensions .
                                                   Regards John

PS when it is finished  post it in the Gallery Section
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 07:19:26 PM by John D Smith »
John Smith

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 08:11:56 PM »
Hi Derek,
               I like it as it is Natural and I must what a lovely piece of work However if SWMBO says leave it as it is that should be good enough, ;D what are the dimensions .
                                                   Regards John

PS when it is finished  post it in the Gallery Section

Thank you. I certainly will post when finished. It measures 9" X 4 3/4" but that is including the tenon so will be a little shorter when complete

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:18:44 PM »
Hi Derek
I like it just as it is in it's natural state. It does not require any enhancement - Let the wood speak for its self.
Ken

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:27:31 AM »
Look's like that would colour really well Derek :) :) :)

All the best

Ed

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 11:15:39 AM »
Thank you Ken and Ed.

This was just one of those I could not make up my mind on. No colour on this one Ed but I have plans on some other pieces of burr I have

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
Derek,

I think you have a whole range of options, but the one that I think would work best is something 'George' could best help you with.

He thins down a spirit stain, really thin, then applies it to the wood, it makes the grain really pop without really affecting the colour. Then lots of coats of oil, allowed to polymerise to give a good shine and your away.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 02:23:38 PM »
Derek,

I think you have a whole range of options, but the one that I think would work best is something 'George' could best help you with.

He thins down a spirit stain, really thin, then applies it to the wood, it makes the grain really pop without really affecting the colour. Then lots of coats of oil, allowed to polymerise to give a good shine and your away.

I have seen this on an old video I have by Chris Stott and have tried a small piece just as an experiment. This and another method of adding colour is on the to do list for the other burrs like this that I have