Author Topic: Panga Panga Square Winged Dish  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Schurchy

• copper
Panga Panga Square Winged Dish
« on: August 14, 2017, 12:00:33 PM »
Hi All
Here's my first attempt at a square winged bowl, but only being 4" x 4" x 2" I guess it only counts as a dish. It's turned from Panga Panga wood, part of a selection of Mozambican woods I received from my turning supplier. C&C welcome as I need know where I can improve. Self-critically I could have turned thinner all round. I will choose a tenon rather than recess to hold on next time or at least a shallower recess.
Thanks for viewing
Steve
Steve

It doesn't matter how perfect it looks, there's always room for improvement.

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
Re: Panga Panga Square Winged Dish
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »
Hi Steve
Certainly looks like a good first attempt at a square winged bowl/dish. The finish looks good and the thickness of the wing appears to match the thickness of the bowl, also the wing looks an even thickness and a crisp square edge.

A few points I would do differently.....
 - As you've aleady mentioned, a foot rather than a recess would help to lift the piece and give it an overall lighter appearance so long as the curve of the bowl meets above the line of the surface it sits on.
 - also as you've realised the bowl wall and wing thickness could do with being thinner, again this would give a feeling of lightness (if indeed that's what you want)
 - I would do a square topped rim to give a contrast to the bowl and to tie in with the crisp square edges of the wing
 - lastly, the wing appears to be not quite square to the rim of the bowl (this may be camera angles), if the wing is supposed to be square then make sure it is perfectly square otherwise it shouts out.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Rick

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »
Hi Rick
Many thanks for the comments. Completely agree regarding the thickness and overall weight. The wing is square and so I can only put this down to camera angles as you say.
I need to take a look at other's foot designs and incorporate them in my work, however many don't show the reverse of their bowls so makes it harder to envisage how different designs give different results.

I appreciate your comments

Steve
Steve

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »
Hello Steve, I quite like the design, I don't mind the recess, the curve of the bowls base kissing the table works for me but it all depends at what angle the bowl is viewed from. yes to much thinner, but you know that. Interesting lump of wood.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:55:46 PM by Dancie »
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:46:51 PM »
Thanks Dancie. The wood is great to turn and has lots of yellow/golden flecks all through it. Thanks for your comments. The depth of the recess meant I couldn't hollow as much as I'd have liked, hence either needing a tenon or shallower recess, this in turn meant the walls are thicker than I would normally aim for. Next time I'll go thinner. Oh and of course I wasn't sure how cutting into the square edge would hold up, so was nervous of going thinner.

Steve
Steve

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »
Steve....when we turn a bowl of just about any sort, we look for a pleasing curve that flows. If the curve has a sudden change of direction, or flattens out, then the majority of people will find that shape far less pleasing, so when designing the foot the base of a bowl, try to imagine that the curve is continuous, down one side, underneath and back up the other side. Of course, you need a foot of some sort (unless you're making a rocking bowl), so all that the foot needs to do is to lift the bowl just enough for that curve to flow....so the wider the foot is, the higher it will need to be, but the general rule is to keep it as narrow as possible, and therefore as low as possible - that way it doesn't take the eye so much and interrupt the curve that you've cut.

It's a great first attempt at a winged bowl, and it's made all the better by using an interesting piece of timber that's not too easy to turn. Well done.....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »
Hi Les, many thanks for your kind words and advice, it's much appreciated

Steve
Steve

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
Steve,

the foot of a bowl/platter etc is a strange thing. It took me a long time to even start to understand what looked good and why, and I'm not sure I get it right every time now.

The fact that you've works the chucking point is a point in your favour, it say's I did not forget this bit.

Something not mentioned is the grain orientation, I'd call it an End Grain bowl you've turned and the grain is very dramatic indeed.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
I would be well happy with this as a first , very nice

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 01:25:05 PM »
Cheers Guys and thanks for your comments
Steve