Author Topic: Steady wheels  (Read 3144 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Steady wheels
« on: August 01, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »
I am thinking about replacing my current steady with a new one. The current one is too small, as it was originally built for a different lathe. It also uses wheel bearings, and the hard metal surface does some damage to the timber, even if I cover it with plenty of masking tape.
So now I am thinking of using wheels for roller blades (aka inline skates), and I am wondering whether anybody here has any experience with that? Any tips regarding diameter, softness/hardness, particular makes or materials would be appreciated.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Steady wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:14:25 AM »
I made one years ago and have never used it.
I used Roller blade wheels and I am sure it would have been OK

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 10:20:52 AM »
Fuzzy I use one that has old skate board wheels on it. They have bearings which allows them to run smoother but it can be a little bit noisy.(not a lot though) The wheels have black tyres and they leave a black mark around your turning. I have found that it sands away quite readily but have thought I might seal the area before hand to prevent this. I also have a smaller one with just bearings as the wheels, as you say they do leave  a mark but on mine it is not so bad that I cannot sand it out. As for size, I would make them on the large size so that you have all sizes of work covered, both of mine are fully adjustable.
          I am not in the workshop today but tomorrow I will photograph them both for you.

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 03:57:25 PM »
I have built one using nylon skate board wheels, four in all. They come with double bearings and work pretty well, although as mentioned above, they can be noisy and get noisier as you go faster. The nylon wheels do not leave any marks although I do tend to cover the contact area usually with masking tape to make a softer contact between wheels and turning. Don't let the noise worry you. I don't use it that much so it isn't really a problem. I got the design from YouTube video some while ago and it is adjustable from about 3inches to 12 inches diameter. Hope this helps. Malcolm.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 04:27:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Have any of you experimented with different bearings or different wheel sizes or cross-sections or materials?

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:09:08 PM »
I have one made with rollerblade wheels, and the noise drives me barmy!
Make sure the bearings are OK and are fully sealed.
Ron

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 09:38:16 PM »
Reading this thread reminds me of a video I watched some years ago about a trembleur competition. A wide vrieti of different steadies on it also  great video to watch.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 02:09:25 AM »
here's the one i made. maybe it's a bit big for your lathe?

Offline Redtails3

• copper
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »
Make your own wheels,buy some material of your choice along with different size bearings
Glue the bearings in or use a push fit.
It's the high spindle speed that causes the noise, try ear muffs?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »
Making your own wheels is probably not a great idea, since the best material is polyurethane rubber, which is a complete pain to turn. There are several sources for the noise. The first source are the actual bearings used. They need to be precision types, with shields on both sides (to avoid dust ingress). The second source are the actual wheels, or rather their contact with the wood. This is essentially the same noise you get when skating on a surface (at a speed of 20mph, a 70mm wheel does about 2270 rpm), but you are running on a comparably soft and probably bumpy surface, therefore generating noise. The third source of noise is when these contact vibrations are transmitted from the wheels into the arms and the frame, and the whole thing starts to vibrate.
So, in order to keep the noise down: use high quality shielded bearings, largest diameter wheels that will do the trick (although that limits the smallest diameter you can hold) and make sure the contact surface is as smooth (and hard) as possible.
I knew all of this before I even started the post. I was just wondering whether anybody had ever compared different materials for any of the parts. I suspect no, since none of us are in the business of building steady rests.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 06:22:55 PM »
mine's fairly quiets wolfgang...

i only get noise from the bearings and contact with the workpiece as the material i used  was 1" steel. that has yet to vibrate...

the wheels are 4" diameter made from beech and work perfectly. i glued in some inline skate bearings given to me by the guy who helped me weld it together.