Author Topic: Wall decoration  (Read 5093 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Wall decoration
« on: July 23, 2017, 06:09:57 PM »
My new workshop has a lot more space than the old one, so that I can now finally work on some larger pieces. This one is about 16" diameter and stands about 1.5" tall/thick. It's made from ash, turned, carved, dyed (blue) and sprayed (black). I personally am a little disappointed with the blue, as it has blended unfavourably (in my opinion) with the natural orangey colour of the ash. However, I've had very positive comments from other people who like it this way, so maybe my colour blindness is having an effect. So let's see what you guys think.

The pictures were taken outside with sunlight, which also seems to have an impact.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Wall decoration
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 07:07:43 PM »

Hi Fuzzy,
               I am not sure about this one? the colours do nothing for me too dark I am afraid maybe some brighter colours but leave the dark (river?) running through.
 One point I would make though your comment yesterday on another Topic you said you did not want to post Crap Pictures of your work
 on the Forum well I think you could have done better than these pictures.

Regards John  :(
John Smith

Offline ken rodgers

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 08:08:41 PM »
Hi Fuzzy.
This one does nothing for me sorry.
The carved area I do like. I would prefer to see the centre bowl without the colouring and the river effect .
Regards Ken

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 08:12:46 PM »
I really dont like anything about this much too dark and the Photography is very poor.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 08:23:17 PM »
This piece does nothing for me either
regards
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »
OK, I get that this one isn't most people's thing. Could you please explain why you think the photography is poor?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 06:19:05 PM »
I am supprised you have to ask.
It is the background on all three a nice card behind and better lighting would make all the differance.
Look how dark the third one is and it is not even level.
I am sure you are capable of a lot better than this.

Regards George

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 09:59:25 PM »

Well Fuzzy,
                  Your comment as I said in my previous post that you would not wish to post Crap Pictures of your work on the Forum

The photographs you posted are poor and that is my opinion sorry if the truth hurts,please do not take offence at my comments that is

just how I see it.And it may not do justice to your work
                                                                                     Regards John 
John Smith

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 10:17:40 PM »
Hmm, I see where this is going. One guy distorts the colours in my images, one complains about the natural light and the fact that one of them is a little skew, and the third cannot even elaborate why he thinks the images are poor, other than repeating that they are poor and I mustn't be a bad sport.
Well I am not a bad sport, I can take critique. And George does have a point (even though I could point out that some of his garden sculptures were also photographed with natural sunlight and without a cardboard background), the last picture is too dark and not level.
Since I currently do not have the possibility to get my photo tent out and take professional pictures, I shall simply refrain from posting anything until my situation has changed.

I was always under the impression that this is a place where folks come to learn. Seems that has changed somewhat.

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 10:27:19 PM »
I have removed my post-it was not my intention to distort your image=merely to show that the image contained all the relevant info and it just needed a little post production work.I apologise profusely.
I actually find the piece a really strong artistic statement.
Mike.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 10:54:57 PM »
I think you have brought a lot of this on yourself by your attitude to other members .

Your comment on Photobucket
(My solution is probably a little extreme for most of you, mostly because I actually earn my living doing IT.)
Very condesending.

Your comment On Dying again
(I really do not want to post crapt pictures on here. )

Again on Dying again your comment
( So, unfortunately I have to say that of late I haven't really seen anything on here that would induce me to spend time writing a nice critique. And I haven't seen anything either that I really, really like. Sorry, guys. )
So arragant and disrespectfull to other members in my opinion.

Your comment on this thread
(I was always under the impression that this is a place where folks come to learn. Seems that has changed somewhat.)
In my opinion you dont seem prepared to learn I pointed out very respectfull some points about the quality of you pictures just trying to be helpfull and you have gone into a sulk.
Dont be offended by my comments I am as always trying to be constructive and helpfull

Regards George

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:57:34 PM by GBF »

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 10:59:56 PM »
Personally, I like the "geographical features" and "ripples in the sand".
I find the colours a bit too dark but Fuzzy himself said he wasn't entirely happy with how the blue came out.
Duncan

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 11:13:37 PM »
Hi Wolfgang

I like seeing something different and I quite like what you have done here.

All the best

Ed

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 09:26:57 AM »
Thanks, Ed and Duncan, I was beginning to think that I had completely wasted my time and a perfectly decent piece of wood, but it seems the opinions are just strongly split. Which in itself is not a bad thing. So now the challenge is to find a way to make the colours work better.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 10:02:56 PM »
I think you have brought a lot of this on yourself by your attitude to other members .

Interesting. I can see why you think that way, I've seen it many times in other people as well. I've been accused of arrogance before, but this isn't arrogance (I am not claiming to be or have what I am not or do not have). I can live with that. I am not intentionally condescending or disrespectful, merely very honest. And I can see how that can hurt, and for that I do apologize.
The really interesting bit is your suggestion that the comments on this piece are less connected to the piece itself and more connected to my interactions with other forum members. So in other words: Be nice and don't step on any toes, and you'll get useful feedback. Be honest and ruffle feathers, and you get hammered. I thought we all had agreed some while ago to rather be honest with each other?