Author Topic: Photobucket  (Read 3437 times)

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Photobucket
« on: July 18, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »

Since 2013 we have used Photobucket to host pic's and upload to the forum, we were having so much trouble with Adds
  popups and the like we decided in December 2016 to post straight from the camera. Yes we know it was free but even so
  it got too much to cope with and so so slow.Now Not only are we unable to upload a Pic to a 3rd party they have stolen all our
  pics and replaced them with update your account , we can have them displayed again for the ransom of $399 or £306
  Don't give in to bullies  or blackmail so wont be paying the £306 ransom .
  Are we right in thinking we can't remove the pics from Photobucket without paying.
  Its very annoying because Pearl has had over 6, 800 views which means people are still viewing everyone's older posts.
  Kind Regards Tony Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Photobucket
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 02:49:46 PM »
Tony, Di,

I don't use Photobucket and and only throwing in an idea here.

They have disabled 3rd party Hosting, the ability to link images to other sites.

Can you still log into your account and is there a tick box (switch) somewhere to stop the hosting capability, giving only you access and hence take back control.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 03:52:06 PM »
I use Picasa 3 it sizes them automaticly

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »

After dodging all the ads have finally managed to get into the account. At least all the photos are still there Bryan.
     Unfortunately can't find anything to click on only the usual library ..brows...editor ..... and the bit that tells me
     its 16% full.
     Kind Regards Tony Di

Thank You George... Sounds like a good option .. will look into it.
      Kind Regards Tony Di

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 08:40:43 PM »

Hi Di & Tony,
                      I also use Picasa but that has now been taken over by Google that is not a problem.

Regards John 
John Smith

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:42:20 PM »

Thank You John.... we are going to wait until the weekend now until we can talk to one or both sons ,
    Hopefully one of them will be able to sort it out. There a lot better at this I T stuff than we are.
    Kind Regards Tony Di

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:55:14 PM »
I'll be interested to see what you decide....I'm in the same boat. Photobucket used to be such a good program, but it's now become the pits!
Les
p.s. ... when you say "remove", do you mean to delete one of your pics from a Photobucket gallery, or use a link to it?
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 02:30:15 AM »
You can attach the images to the post without using an external hosting service, we have no shortage of storage space!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »
I have never used Photobucket myself and jut upload from my computer with no problem.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22:53 AM »
My solution is probably a little extreme for most of you, mostly because I actually earn my living doing IT.  My home network runs entirely on Linux, which pretty much eliminates all virus problems (but I still have a proper firewall and anti-virus software!). I have a QNAP drive connected to the network which provides several TB of storage, and in addition most of my images are uploaded to google (I have a google plus account), from where some of them are shared.
I use Gwenview to upload images from the camera onto my PC and to do simple mods (cropping and resizing), and GIMP for more sophisticated work (similar to PhotoShop) such as retouching, hue changes, etc. All of this software is free and I generally load pictures directly into the forum. The only downside of that approach is that the images always appear at the bottom of the post (whereas linked images can appear anywhere).
If you wanted to use the linked image approach together with Google storage, then the images would have to be in a publicly shared folder or album.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 01:26:46 PM »

Thank You All For Replying Appreciated
 After a lot of searching on the Net and Photobucket it seems we will be able to Download all pic's  from PB direct
 to the computer which is what I would like to do. Then continue posting images through AWGB sites Attachments.
 Lucky in the fact that I can Resize ... or Crop photos on the camera so really don't need a Host as such. Just need
 to remember to backup the Pic's when its done.
 Kind Regards Di Tony

p,s ... The down side is don't know much  about computers or IT, so will have to wait for the 2 that do.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »

Managed to get the pics into a file on laptop after a quick lesson last week from one of our Daughter-in-laws.
  could only download one at a time in between all the stuff that was popping up very laborious. We still have a lot of images
  on the camera from way back, so the thought is leave them where they are and use the memory card as storage'
  for now if and when it gets full I'll buy another one.
  Appreciate this may not be appropriate for those that use the camera on there phones.... Both  George and John's
  suggestion of Picasa 3 look a good choice so far..... When time allows I'll look into it further.
  Thank Again Guys  Di tony

We are now trying to figure out if we can Repost some of the images without bringing it back to the front page.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 01:10:08 PM »

Managed to get the pics into a file on laptop after a quick lesson last week from one of our Daughter-in-laws.
  could only download one at a time in between all the stuff that was popping up very laborious. We still have a lot of images
  on the camera from way back, so the thought is leave them where they are and use the memory card as storage'
  for now if and when it gets full I'll buy another one.
  Appreciate this may not be appropriate for those that use the camera on there phones.... Both  George and John's
  suggestion of Picasa 3 look a good choice so far..... When time allows I'll look into it further.
  Thank Again Guys  Di tony

We are now trying to figure out if we can Repost some of the images without bringing it back to the front page.

I decided to buy a 2tb external hard drive to store all of my files and photo's on and that way it does not take room up on the computer or laptop. I can just unplug and move from one device to another, it is small enough to be able to take with me when visiting family or friends if I need to show them.
Even with two sets of photo's in some cases one original size and another reduced for loading on some forums that limit the size.
I still have loads of space on it and have no way used anywhere near 1/2 of the drives capacity.
I use to use photobucket until they started playing games but now where possible download straight from the external drive via one of my computers

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »

Sounds just what we need Derek thank you..... I can do most things on the camera main one being Resize. So don't
   need a host as such.... we thought we did in the beginning but in hind site we don't. The hard drive will be more robust
   than the memory card which could easily get lost, so will definitely look into this in fact I think we might have one
   lurking about somewhere. We have been posting direct from card to forums since December last year much more peaceful.
   Kind Regards
   Di tony

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 02:52:40 PM »
Not looked back since getting mine good job I got it when I did as my computer crashed 5 days after backing everything up talk about lucky.