Author Topic: Adaptor to use 1" 8TPI chuck on a Hegner HDB200XL - 33mm x 3.5mm pitch thread?  (Read 3714 times)

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying my first lathe which will have a spindle thread of 1" 8TPI and a chuck to go with it (can't decide which!). I'd also like to be able to use that chuck on occasion on the Hegner HDB200XL that we have in the workshop that I'm a member of. Does anybody know if and where I can get an adaptor for this. I found one going the other way but that's no use to me.

Many Thanks
Dave

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
I may have just answered my own question. Just looked at Tool Post's Versa Chuck. I could get a back-plate to suite each lathe. Is this a good solution? Are there others?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Axminster sell (or did sell) a Jet M33 to 1" x 8 adapter. I have one for the same reason.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Hi Dave

The Robert Sorby Patriot chuck comes with a thread adaptor to suit you 1" x 8 you could then buy another adaptor which they call an excert which is M33 x 3.5 which will fit the chuck.

Ed

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
Ok, thanks, I'll have a look into that. I seem to vaguely remember reading that I should avoid inserts if possible. Is that the case? If so is that also the same with backplates?

Paul, I don't think Axy sell that anymore, at least I couldn't find it.

Cheers

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
A lot of the chuck's on the market use inserts, not seen any problems.

Some people don't like the excerts because they are 2" longer, but again I've never had anyone tell me they have had a problem.

Ed

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
Ok, that's good to know. Don't know where I got that idea from, my brain seems to make stuff up sometimes!  :)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
It's still available from Axminster, part number  709960

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
It really depends where your priorities lie. The VersaChuck with backplates is definitely a good idea (I have two of them), but changing the backplate can be a bit of a pain, as it requires three allen screws to be removed and then the backplat itself to be wiggled out of a quite tight fit with the chuck (which is actually good, as you don't want to add any runout).
On the other hand, the thread adapters work well, and a lot faster, but you do lose 2" of length between centres. Shouldn't matter that much on a Hegner lathe, if I recall correctly they have quite a long bed.

Offline Sandy

• bronze
Hi Dave

If I understand you correctly, my description would be:
M33x3.5 female to 1"x8 chuck insert

Charnwood do one of these, details below:
M33x3.5 female to 1"x1/8" male chuck insert
Converts any lathe with a headstock thread of M33 x 3.5 to 1" x 8tpi for using carious chuck and accessories.
This thread adaptor exert sleeve can be used to convert the Viper 2 chuck for use with any lathe with a M33 x 3.5 thread on the headstock.
1" x 8tpi external thread, M33 x 3.5 internal thread.
VIPERIC   1'' x 8tpi - M33 x 3.5 Exert for VIPER2 Chuck £10.00 incl VAT.
https://www.charnwood.net/products/product/p1-x-8tpi-m33-x-3-5-exert-for-viper2-chuck-viperic/category_pathway-174

Hope this is helpful but apologies if I've got this wrong! and hopefully readers will correct me.
Kind regards

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
Thanks all!
I went for the Axy clubman 100 as it came as a package with the lathe. Sandy, I went for the exert you suggested. £13 on the bay seemed like a good deal. Cheers, looking forward to getting going now. It all comes on Thursday :D