Author Topic: BUYING EQUIPMENT  (Read 7893 times)

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
BUYING EQUIPMENT
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:43:17 AM »
Morning All,

As you know I'm a new boy (Not even started yet) and, I'm trying to either buy a refurbished Graduate or have one of the 2 I've got refurbished and sell the other one.

I'm wondering how dificult is it to spend money on this hobby ? The reason being is that nobody seems to want to take my money ! Phone messages are not returned e-mails remain unanswered, the whole 'industry' seems not to bother !

Is it me ?  :'(

I wonder if I should take up knitting, as trying to start woodturning is like knitting fog !

Moan over .

Bob  :(
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: BUYING EQUIPMENT
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:55:31 PM »
Wait until you have a working lathe, then you'll see how easy it is to spend money.

Wood, you'd think it didn't grow on tree's!
Tools Do you really want the lastest one - no he says (while nodding his head).

However I've always refurbbed my lathes myself (though buying a new one now)
Have you looked on e-Bay (Search Woodturning Lathes) there is normally plenty of adverts for Graduates or for variable speed kits suitable for Graduates - but they cost.

As for knitting fog - the first 200 times your skew bites, you might wish you'd taken it up as an easier hobby!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 09:32:37 PM »
Hi Bob
Have you tried www.gandmtools.co.uk I have bought off them several times and always found them very helpfull. It all depends what level of refurbishment your Graduate needs (or you think it needs). I have changed both bearings, and the spindle in my lathe, and it is well within the capabilty of most people. Get yourself the variable speed kit (which includes a new motor) and you will have a fabulous machine for around £450-500. If you go along this route, a little tip, fit a spare belt over the spindle to save you having to remove the bearings should the belt break (very unlikely.) Look forward to seeing how you get on.
Roger G

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »
Hello Bob,
             surely from the 2 lathes you can get one working. Forget the vari-speed for the time being it's only a luxury item and you will need all your money for the really important luxury items like tools and glue and abrasive and chucks and wood and more wood and tools and finishes and wood and.............
    You'll spend it all eventually!
Regards
John BHT :D

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:35:01 AM »
Hi Bob,   I've been buying equipment and tools since 96 and still always think I need something else, always a new tool, finish or sandpaper out there that your told you need, can do without or just have too have..   ;D ...  it's the job can't be done without it ...   :o ...  it will be on going, it's not dificult to your spend money on this hobby, but all you need are just 5 basic hand tools to start turning, there list in a post on here, have a hunt, as you wait for the calls back.

Can you make 1 out of the 2 lathes you have ...   ??? ..  you've not been clear ...   just what other equipment for the lathe/s do you have or are in need of ..

Cheers.        David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »
Hi David.
If you have been buying tools sinse you were 96 how old are you now. ;)

Regards George

It must make it about 112 ...      :o .....    :) .....

admalin

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
Hi Bob
I was a boy scout and for my sins I have to do a good turn every day. Not always successful.

Years ago there were 2 Graduates (lathes that is) in the local Tech college, and I remember someone managed to wreck the bearings on one of them.

Pondering your problem, I think you need to explain the problem(s) with your lathes more clearly.
I think there could be four. (A) They are virtually completely wrecked (B) The bearnigs are damaged. (C) The motor doesn't start.
(D) The drive belts are loose or missing.
With answers to these and anything else you can say, I think some advice will be forthcoming.

Incidentally does someone know if there is a firm which still deals in these machines?

Tony Malin

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 05:51:52 PM »
Hello,
Many thanks for all the replies on here.
I have put a plug on one of the lathes and it seems to work fine.  :o
The other is still waiting attention. How do I know if the bearings are ok ? I only ran the lathe for a very short time as, I wasn't sure about the degree of lubrication in the bearings, although it did run very smooth and quiet, I suppose the best thing is to listen to the bearings using a screwdriver/rod as a sort of stethoscope thingy and listen for any rumblings. :-\
As far as chisels go, when I bought one of the lathes it came with a box of about 20+ chisels plus 2 chucks, couple of faceplates and, spare belts. Also what I believe is the original coloured poster that used to be on the wall in school workshops.Oh, it also has the wooden shute type thingy (technical term) for the chisels when not in use.

I have today received a quote for re furbishing one of them and fitting Variturn speed control for just under £4000 !

Guess what ? I'm going to grease up the bearings, assemble the beast in it's final position and have a go ! And then see if I need speed control which I will fit myself. ;D Watch this space - after my hols next week !  P.S. Anyone want the other one ?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:55:17 PM by BOB A JOB »
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »
using a screwdriver/rod as a sort of stethoscope thingy and listen for any rumblings.

Yep, that's known as an Acoustic Stethoscope.

Have you yet found someone nearby to help you, club or other turner?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 12:04:30 AM »
 8) ...  Sounds very much as to you have a good result, next up to put some wood on and make some shaving ...   ;D ...  well done.  WOT Hols too ..  ??? ..

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »
using a screwdriver/rod as a sort of stethoscope thingy and listen for any rumblings.

Yep, that's known as an Acoustic Stethoscope.

Have you yet found someone nearby to help you, club or other turner?

There is an AWGB branch about an hour+ drive away which is not a problem but, the meetings are  on Tuesday and Saturday. Tuesday I sing in a Male Voice Choir and, every other Saturday I'm involved in a home match for our local rugby club. (Vice President - too old to play now !). Would be nice to find a local on here to help out. Any offers ?
Regards,
Bob.  :)
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

admalin

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »
Hi again

Surprisingly it is possible to overgrease bearings, so be careful.

Tony Malin

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
Hi Bob,
          very smooth and quiet is what you want in a lathe and Graduates are among the best for this. If the bearings are going you WILL hear it.So I think you have nothing to worry about. I doubt very much that you are the only chap in your area turning, try sticking an advert in the freebie column of your local rag, or if there is no club nearby how about starting one? As a member of the AWGB you can now apply to do a course to aid your development and this may help to re-inforce confidence with your machine.
Regards
JohnBHT

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »
         I doubt very much that you are the only chap in your area turning, try sticking an advert in the freebie column of your local rag, or if there is no club nearby how about starting one? As a member of the AWGB you can now apply to do a course to aid your development and this may help to re-inforce confidence with your machine.
Regards
JohnBHT

John,

I like the idea of setting up a club in the East Kent area I wonder what the interest would be locally ?
Could always contact that old boy down at Stiles & Bates, Dover.
Now was the old boy called - Dave ?  ;)

He might help. :-*

Many thanks.

Bob.
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 08:03:36 PM »
Bob,

I've just sent you a Private Mail (PM) of a turning contact who lives not far from you.

Hope it works out all right for you,

Dr4g0nfly