Author Topic: Turners Retreat Longworth Chucks  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
Turners Retreat Longworth Chucks
« on: June 12, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »
Anybody got any experience of the Longworth Chucks sold by Turners Retreat? http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/12-longworth-style-chuck

I have been using Cole Jaws from Record for about five years but have never been happy with them. The first problem is that they are not flat, they are not smooth so I need to use paper towel to protect the work and changing the jaws and then moving the buttons as necessary is a pain.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Turners Retreat Longworth Chucks
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 09:04:06 AM »
I have both and I basically never use them, for those very reasons listed by you. I mostly use some big wooden discs mounted on faceplates, with either paper or non-slip mats or domed pieces of wood for the inside of bowls, and then the tailstock to hold it all in place.
It's also worth considering a set of really large wooden jaws (self-made from relatively soft wood).
One of my wooden discs has a variety of holes, so I can clamp things to the surface, which removes the need for the tailstock to hold the piece in place, but this obviously only works if you have a big enough disc AND you have a suitable surface on your work item to be clamped down.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Turners Retreat Longworth Chucks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 03:06:31 PM »
Philip,

They are not hard to make, if you have a router. There are instructions on-line in several places.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!