Author Topic: Pen Drilling Vice...Heeeeeeelllllp pen-turners...  (Read 2873 times)

Offline KevinMc

• iron
  • Beginner
Pen Drilling Vice...Heeeeeeelllllp pen-turners...
« on: June 12, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
Ok I give in... everywhere you see this vice the sales pitch says "once set up it works fine..."

Sadly it come with no instructions and nowhere tells you how to set it up... it will click tight when empty but not when I have a blank in it...

So I cannot get it to click into place to hold the pen blanks...anyone know what I need to do?

Kevin
Water into Wine and Brass into Gold...No can do...but Wood into shavings Ohhhhh Yes. 😀

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
Re: Pen Drilling Vice...Heeeeeeelllllp pen-turners...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 09:13:54 PM »
Sounds like you need to slacken off the jaws a bit.

Without a blank in situ, undo the nut and you should be able to adjust the threaded bit using your fingers.

Turn one way and the jaws will get further apart, turn the other way and they will get closer together.

Open up a bit and then try to fit the blank. Adjust more as necessary.

I have had mine about five years and have never bothered to tighten the nut up again as I often have to adjust the jaws for different pen blanks.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Online Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 10:07:25 PM »
...as Statsman says....but also, think of it as a Mole wrench; it works in the same way!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:33:02 PM »
As already stated they need adjusting each time you use a different size blank. Not many people have these that I know of as most pen turners drill their blanks on the lathe.

Offline KevinMc

• iron
  • Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 08:14:44 AM »
Thanks guys....

It's working.... :)

I love this forum as a beginner as you can ask the daftest question and get a load of great help and information.

Kevin
Water into Wine and Brass into Gold...No can do...but Wood into shavings Ohhhhh Yes. 😀

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
I doubt you can ask a question we haven't asked ourselves LOL. Still do at times.
Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 03:07:49 PM »
Thanks guys....

It's working.... :)

I love this forum as a beginner as you can ask the daftest question and get a load of great help and information.

Kevin

Ah, the Hive Mind.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 07:49:50 PM »
It beats me why they make these complicated gadgets for such a simple job. I use engineering jaws in my chuck and put the drill in the jaws with only25 to 30 mm protruding. I then put the blank between the drill bit and the tail stock and feed it in with the tailstock. Release the tails tock and bring the drill bit out further and repeat, when nearly through put a bit of scrap between the blank and the tailstock centre, to save ruining the drill bit, and go all the way through.

I do this with a 3mm long series bit for light pulls and they run true every time
Ron