Author Topic: Monkey Puzzle Tree  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
Monkey Puzzle Tree
« on: May 17, 2017, 03:47:08 PM »
We are cutting down a 200 year old monkey puzzle tree,  20m in height and  a meter in width; the  tree has become a threat to the surrounding buildings.
Is there any value in having the wood planked, turned or used for a log burner?  The tree surgeon doesn't think the timber is suitable for construction, but I do remember Phil Irons making a hollow form in under 20 mins. at an Axminster turning event.
Any advice would be greatly received.
       Thank you
               Haggy

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Monkey Puzzle Tree
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 04:22:16 PM »
You can get some ;ovely wood from it but it kisn't easy. The bark is fixed to the wood with a non setting gunk that gets everywhere if you try and turn it off so strip it before turning and the pith in the middle can be so soft it can fall out. Apart from that it makes lovely bowls, hollow forms, vases etc with its distinctive red knots around the circumference. Use very sharp tools as it is a soft wood

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »
Haggy,
Monkey Puzzle will turn as Pete says,but you have a mix of soft pine which cuts nicely and those whorls! They are like steel. Then you have to deal with all that sap so be careful how you store it.
Most tree surgeons don't like cutting Monkey Puzzle because of the branches, I think.

If you do get it dropped, then cut into rounds with either a row of one or two whorls, which should be enough for turning. I've turned 4 pieces in all and all are now sold.

There are still a few turners about who use Monkey Puzzle so there might be a market for the pieces of tree.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »
I had (and still have) some monkeypuzzle from a tree that was about 2' across.
The gum is exclusively in the bark, and the trick here is to get the bark off absolutely ASAP. Use gloves and avoid any other contact with clothes, as this gum will not come out. Once the bark is off (and it should actually peel off quite well), the wood itself is almost white, usually of very even grain and easy to turn.
However, sharp tools are essential, and since the tree has some silica in the wood, it will blunt your tools rapidly.

BTW, in its home countries (Chile and Argentina) this tree is now protected, because it was overharvested for timber framing. So much for no good for construction.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 05:54:31 PM »
if it's a meter wide then it will be worth planking the lower sections as long as you can find a buyer for the wood. the upper sections of the trunk can be used for decorative bowls round the branches as the guys have said.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 07:48:39 AM »
Thank you for your help.  I'm a lot clearer now. 
Fuzzyturns and Pete- I will look into planking the timber.
I will  certainly  turn a few bowls from the rings.  Thank you for your insite into the problems that lie ahead.
I take it that side grain blanks don't reveal the grain figuring in the best way.
Dave and  Bodrighlywood, how did you hollow out your bowls?  Did you use scraping tools (E.g. R.Munrow Hollowing Tool) or bowl gouge?  Thanks for the advice for getting rid of the bark.  I will do as you suggest.
       Regards
           Haggy

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 08:33:08 AM »
I just used a bowl gouge but you could use a hollowing tool though depending on which one you have  they can clog up with soft wood I find, could just be my bad technique though LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 08:54:18 AM »
Side grain bowls without any knots can indeed be a bit boring, but lend themselves to decorative work, and monkey puzzle is a pleasure to carve.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 05:15:19 PM »
Haggy,
It's a while since turning the MP but I used a bowl gouge 1/2" or 5/8" and probably the Big Brother. The first piece I made was definitely using a bowl gouge as that was done under the watchful eye of Greg Moreton.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 02:35:05 PM »
Thank you for the replies.
The most recent quote I have had for planking the is £300.00.
It would be great to use the wood for construction purposes- thanks for your knowledge here Fuzzyturns.
My neighbour and I will have a go at turning some  rings higher up the tree. 
Finally, am I correct to assume shrinkage will be more even on end grain bowls- l am wondering if we can get away with turning these bowls in one go? 
What ever the outcome, it is sad the tree has to come down, at least we will have something to remember this 200 yr old monolith by.
       Regards
             Haggy

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 07:38:51 PM »
MP will warp quite considerably (and don't ask how I know that). With end grain bowls it shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you are happy that the final shape is different from the one you turned. The pith could be a problem though. As Pete has pointed out, it is very fibrous and also quite large. Might be best to turn and sand them right through to finish and them put a finish on that allows a little bit of breathing so that the drying out process is slowed down heavily. Living craft, in a way.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 07:35:41 PM »
Thanks to all for your replies.  The tree will be taken down on the 26 th June.
We are looking forward to turning bowls for the locals- hopefully all in one operation.
   Regards
          Haggy