Author Topic: Turned 30  (Read 2500 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Turned 30
« on: May 12, 2017, 09:07:17 AM »
For the AWGB Turned 30 anniversary kennet and Avon Wood Turning Club have booked a room for the whole week in Trowbridge Town Hall. The members are putting together an exhibition and there will be ongoing demonstrations all week. I have been roped in to give a talk about contemporary turning on Thursday night (in an attempt to educate the public).
          I thought I would put this here as it is a bit more exciting than the description on the birthday bash page.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Turned 30
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:19:24 AM »
All fingers crossed for plenty of curious public. Mo and I will be there on Monday demoing. Should be good.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 02:01:13 PM »
 dates and times please.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 03:00:54 PM »
The exhibition runs from Monday 15 May until Saturday 20 May inclusive. Times are from 10.00 -1600 Monday to Friday and 1000 - 1400 Saturday
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 08:29:39 PM »
many thanks.
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 11:19:03 PM »
Went in to help set up today, some of the work on display is absolutely brilliant, I am so proud of my club members, looking forward to my spell demonstrating Thursday morning.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
Well done John both to you and your members.  I hope you have a great week.  Sam is going down there today.

Cheers Dave

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 08:36:23 PM »
Hope the week went well John

All the best

Ed

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 09:45:24 AM »
We had a very good week in Trowbridge Town hall. We set up Friday and Saturday and opened Monday when we had a visit from John Montgomery who is our local AWGB rep. With members demonstrating all week we had a visit from Sam Webber and his good lady on Wednesday. I demonstrated Thursday and gave a talk Thursday evening. All through the week we had visits from local people and from members of other woodturning clubs. Although our members did not know it we also had visits from many of the town's councillors, this is important to the club as we may wish to apply for a town grant in the future and being seen to take part in local events is a valueable reference.
          We also had enquiries from people just setting up their workshops or just starting out on the woodturning trail and we may have recruited 8 new members. As a former trustee of the AWGB and the current H&S person I am delighted that our club event fully embraced the ethos of the AWGB.
      Although I am no longer the Chairman of my local club I would like to thank the AWGB for the Turn 30 grant and say that I thought it was money well spent, and I know I said this in an earlier post but I am so proud of my club and of the AWGB. Well done all!!

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 06:33:10 PM »
Glad it all went well John. :D :D