Author Topic: Beech Hollow Form  (Read 1791 times)

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
Beech Hollow Form
« on: May 09, 2017, 05:00:24 PM »
Hi Guys
Another go at a hollow form, this time from beech with an ebonised finial, size is approx. 13.75" high x 5.75" at its widest, c&c welcome
Cheers
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Beech Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:09:04 PM »

Hi Andy,
              Another stunning piece I would like to see the Finial a little more tapered (but I suppose that is nit picking).

Regards John 
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »
I have looked at this a lot and I am not sure about the form to me it looks stretched. I think if the bottom couple of inches were not there it would look better.
I like the finial.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »
I think this is a fine hollow form. I can see what George means, but I like the main body as it is. I can also see what John is talking about and agree with him (the long slim bit could be a little thinner and flow a little better). I would also say that the ball or onion in the finial is a little stretched and would look probably better if it was more spherical.
However, overall it works, so well done.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »
I'm happy with the body shape of the hollowform, the curves do flow well through the whole height of the form.

I can also see that you're struck on the idea of finials but again I'm still not sure that this form needs it.

Yes it could be slimmer nearer the top, yes the oval ball could be rounder or even heart shaped, maybe it could be a lid with a much smaller small finialled knob. But you are certainly getting the idea of them.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!