Author Topic: Help for a new boy !  (Read 4815 times)

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
Help for a new boy !
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
As the subject says I'm a new boy so be gentle with me all you experienced tuners out there !

I did a very small bit of turning about 12 years ago but just what I picked up myself, no traing, courses or anything.

Now retired (YIPEEE !) I have to decide what to do with 2 Graduate Lathes that I have never used.
Should I sell them and by a new lathe, if so which ?
Or sell one and get the other re-furbished and have the electronic speed control fitted ?   :-\

Any advice welcome,

Many thanks,
Bob.
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Andy Coates

Re: Help for a new boy !
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 12:51:27 PM »
It all depends what you wish to turn, Bob. The Graduate is still a desirable lathe for many people, and re-furbished versions sell for around £1000+, so you potentially have a couple of thousand in lathes there.

It it were me I'd probably refurbish one, convert to variable speed, and perhaps sell the other to pay for the referb. A non-variable in unloved state can still achieve £500+ so you have a good opportunity there. And if you later decide to go for a newer lathe you could get £1000+ for the variable refurbed lathe.

Whatever you decide have fun and turn safely.

You can ask anything on here and somebody will answer your queries.

Andy

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
Andy has said it all, referb and add variable speed.

Now the next question, Bowls or Spindles?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 02:58:53 PM »
Sorry chaps and chapesses but here comes a word of caution from the Devil's advocate.
I would strongly suggest, Bob, you start turning with what you have got right now, with as little, or preferably no, outlay at all at this early stage.
The sheds and garages of this world are full of unused and no-longer-loved rusty lathes. This must mean that there are an equal number of ex Bob-a-Job new boys whose initial keen-ness didn't stay the planned course.
Sorry Bob but there is just no way you can tell at this stage of your career whether an addiction, like mine, or dereliction, like those other ex newbies I spoke about awaits you in 6 month's time. So do your wallet a favour and keep the 'folding' folded until you know a little more.
Let us know were you are geographically and we will, hopefully, help you find your local club and someone to take you under their wing to get you started in the right direction.
All the best and I sincerely hope the turning bug bites
Brian

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
Hi Bob
Hang on to one of them, fit variable speed and you will have a first class lathe. I would not be without mine (unless I came up on Ernie!!!!!)
Roger G

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:31:50 PM »
Hi Bob, an welcome to turning and the forum, I'm with Dr4g and Brian on this one, 1st in what way do you want to go with your turning, bowls, hollowform or spindle work, all of it, along those lines Brian is right in you should start with one of the lathes you have, should both be working, you've not said nor as to what models you have, short bed, long or bowl lathes..  get started, learn as to what you'd like to do, (pens can be turner on a large lathe just as well, but larger forms can't be as well on a small lathe) then you'll find out as to if you'll still want to carry on with it, that love it kind ... ;D ..  then chose as to which to do, re-build, sell both and buy new, as has been said a well setup Graduate can't be beat, you'll spend alot more on something new to get something as nice.  It's working out what you want to do and if you'll stick with turning in the end, with the Graduate you've a far better chance than on a lesser lathe, where most have found turning to be difficult or have other problems, as in another post, as too the Record tool post ..
Wish you well with what you do in the end, what ever it is enjoy, it should be fun, take care and be safe at all times.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 10:33:17 PM »
Hello Bob2lathes ;D
                       Congratulations on your retirement, now the real work can begin! Do not be put off by all of the advice you will undoubtedly receive now that you have started turning. My advice is this:-  For the time being keep both lathes, a bird in the bush etc..... for now do not worry about variable speed or anything technical like that. Get yourself decent drive centres and a chuck and some good tools and just practice,practice,practice. Make anything that comes into your head,one of the ways to improve your turning is set yourself goals,say,turn 100 light pulls, stick to a few designs and keep going until each one is good.Start small and work your way up. I spent hours and hours just practicing beading and coving and it paid off. Join a local club and consider taking lessons, the AWGB has a very good development program. Talk to local turners and do not hesitate to ask the "stupid" questions, we've all asked them before you that's why we know (some of) the answers. Think about taking lessons to show you the basics and the safety bits.I have a variable speed option on my graduate but very rarely use it I tend to just change the belt most of the time. Think how the old fashioned turners used to earn their living without all the fancy stuff that we have today and it will give you a leg up in the thought department. Most of all, enjoy the learning process.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:40:12 PM »
Something else that we should have said earlier, join your local club.

It's probably a bit far to Maidstone (the nearest AWGB Affiliated group) for regular journeys from the Isle, but Stiles & Bates in Dover should be able to point you at a nearer group.

You'll learn faster from like-minded people than you will alone and probably find someone to take you under their wing when you need a bit of personal help. You'll also get to see (and inspired) by the demonstrators that will be brought in to some club nights.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Andy Coates

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:26:34 AM »
It's shame Kent club (at Aylesford) is an hour from you as it's a very active club with a full programme and a lot of seriously skilled turners. However, you may find through here or S&B as already suggested, a member who will either take you under their wing, or even car share to save the cost of an 80 mile round trip. I think you'd find it very worthwhile. And if you can make their february meeting i'll be demonstrating there so come and say hello!

Kent club can be contacted here:

KENT WOODTURNERS   (East)
Secretary: David Cheesman,  Kent, 
Telephone: 01622 880615

E-Mail:  thewoodturner@talktalk.net

Meetings:  1st Tuesday evening and 3rd Saturday all day of each month

Venue: The Brocard Room (next to the Pottery) The Friars, Aylesford, Nr. Maidstone, Kent

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 06:37:17 PM »
There is a very active club Orchard Woodturners at Milstead Village hall Sittingbourne
www.Orchard-woodturners.org.uk

Fred

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 09:13:30 PM »
Just to give you an idea ...  http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php?topic=173.0 ...  Cheers.

Offline BOB A JOB

• copper
  • ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
Morning all,
Well, I have finally managed to 'dig' the lathes out of the corner of the garage where the have been lurking for the past few years, B heavy things these Graduates aren't they ! It was quite a job what with No1 son's BIG motorbike with a flat tyre that had to be moved first and, No2 son's fishing tackle in the way. ( They both left home several years ago but, they still use the free storage facilities !)
I'm waiting for a quote from Wadkin who apparently carry out the modifications/refurbishments and LRE sell the lathes. I have tried LRE direct but they don't answer the phone and they do not respond to messages left for them/him ?

I will turn some wood one day - I hope !  :-\

Regards to all,

Bob.
ONE DESERVES ANOTHER.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »
Bob, Are they both non-starters at the moment or could you out of the 2 get one up an running ..  basically are they the same models, that this could be done, as well with them do you have drives, faceplates and chuck/s, if not it maybe sell as is and buy big an new, but you sound to have gone for keeping and re-build, just one or both, that's cheaper in the long run to start, an a better value re-sell, if you took to replace or finish at some later date ...  which when one's hooked you'll never do ..  wood in the blood ...   ;D ..

Have read that LRE is the better system and re-placement direct fit parts, so only hope for whatever the reason you get a reply soon ..  Hmm ...  need extra cash ..  would someone's miss a bike en fishing gear, after all you need the room ..  2 lathes ..   ;) ...

Hoping for a speedy result and too soon be making shaving.

David