Author Topic: Twisted Sister  (Read 3358 times)

DAVE BADKIN

Twisted Sister
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:50:32 PM »
Hi every one and all, sorry for not being around for a while but I am finaly getting back in the shed and making a shaving or two. This piece is turned and carved from Laburnum it measures 12 inches tall and 2.5 inches across at its widest. Thank the Lord for electric power file finger sanders.
I was inspired to turn this piece after being lucky enough to watch the great Nikos Siragas giving a demonstration when he came to the UK last December.
 PS  the reason for calling it “Twisted sister” was that I will turn another with a straight stem when I get another Piece of laburnum the right size, they will then stand side by side. Dave

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Twisted Sister
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »
Hi Dave,  what an excellent piece, stunning detail and finish, what a return to the shed ..  Nikos would no doubt like what you've done too.
Will watch for the next, happy hunting for the piece of Labumum.

Cheers,    David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 02:02:01 AM »
hello Dave

You've done a great job with this.  Looks like loads of work!

Cheers Dave

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:17:08 AM »
The hard work speaks for itself, but what a wonderful way to show the grain right through the whole piece of timber.

Looking forward to seeing it's mate in due course.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »
Hello Dave, Lovely piece of work It just shows what turners have in thier Sheds :)I look forward to seeing her Sister.John
John Smith

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:42:21 PM »
Hello Dave,
               nicely finished aswell.
John BHT

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:13:25 PM »
Thanks for all the lovely comments. It sure is nice to get back in the shed, especially when I find a gorgeous piece of laburnum to play with. Mounting it on the lathe off centre makes the most of its natural grain and the contrasting colours of the heartwood and sapwood, it also finishes nicely with a little sanding sealer followed by buffing with carnauba wax. The powerfile certainly takes the pain out of removing the excess timber and it is easy to control after very little practise. looks like I might be getting my hands on a little more of this lovely timber thanks to a generous friend.
Thanks Phil it sure is an honour