Author Topic: AWGB Birthday Bash  (Read 1752 times)

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
AWGB Birthday Bash
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:02:14 PM »
We are currently preparing for our contribution to the AWGB Birthday Bash celebrations. Our plan is to have  Marquee in a local park and offer some basic woodturning demonstrations, both electric and pole lathes. We will offer some art activities for children and a display boards showing the history of woodturning. All this aimed at the general public to sell ourselves and woodturning in general.

I am currently working on the history boards, which will hang round the marquee.

For the general history , I have got to the point where Peter Child started to take in students, and Frank Pain's book on woodturning. Does any one have any information about how they started the move to amateur woodturners? Also any info on the early days would be helpful.

I am also including a display on the history of the AWGB, I have a very helpful article forwarded to me by Dave Atkinson, but no photos, can anyone point me in the direction of some decent shots of the early days, both personalities and activities?

All this will take place in Nowton Park, Bury St Edmunds on Sunday 20th August 2017. ( When the place is heaving with families!)

PM me if you can help.

Thanks
Ron
Burywoodturners

Offline happy amateur

• bronze
Re: AWGB Birthday Bash
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 05:44:25 PM »
Stuart King published a DVD "the history of woodturning.
I'm sure he would assist if asked.

Fred Taylor
orchard-Woodturners.org.uk

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
Re: AWGB Birthday Bash
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »
Thanks Fred, that's the first thing I bought, I have long owned Frank Page's book and I have tracked down Peter Child's book on EBay. Both books are mainly 'How to' books and I am now looking at the history of the AWGB,

Thanks again
Ron