Author Topic: Screwchuck question  (Read 6500 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Screwchuck question
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 06:57:44 AM »
The deep pitch of the thread is designed so that there's enough wood between each pair of ridges of thread so that the wood is held securely.

The problem could be that you have not wound the wood fully on to the screw chuck.

If this is the case and then you get a few catches while turning, each catch will have wound the wood further on to the thread with more force than we could apply by hand. This then causes an issue when you have to unwind the wood.

You could try using a strap wrench to make sure the wood is fully wound on the screw chuck and use it again to take the wood off.

Ed

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 07:22:14 AM »
Morning all,

hello edbanger - you might be right here the wood was an irregular shape to start with with many sharp corners so this might have tightened it further.

hello Bowler Hatted Turner - I did try padded gloves but it really didn't want to budge and I had to chisel it out in the end.

hello gwyntog - it might be the size of the drilled hole, I havnt used a screw chuck on yew before.

hello rick_dobney - I used the Axminster screw chuck which does have a sharp bladed screw.

hello Paul at Derwent Woodturning and fuzzyturns - It might be the drilled hole I think I need to have slightly different sizes for different timber.

Once again many thanks to everyone, theres loads here to consider.

Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline APH

• bronze
    • My Instagram turning feed
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »
pin chucks always causes me a problem.
I don't think you can even buy them any more. Now there are expanding chuck jaw options that do a similar job.......reliably.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 09:03:40 AM »
I have used a screw chuck a lot but have a tendency now to use a faceplate it is just as quick to fix holds better than a screw chuck.
Whichever I use I always secure the work piece by bringing the tailstock up for extra security.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 09:39:01 AM »
Hello George, yes I also use a faceplate with the tailstock up close for larger pieces - but the faceplate I have for this lump of yew was way too big so a screwchuck seemed the right way to go and normally it would be but on this occasion it didn't want to separate - hopefully I've learnt enough for it to not happen again in the future. All the best, P

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
you've got office arms that's the problem  ;D

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 09:28:50 AM »
Who is this Sanger bloke anyway ? and what does he blooming know !?  ;D

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »
Who is this Sanger bloke anyway ? and what does he blooming know !?  ;D

I would not have been as polite as you :-)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 08:29:48 PM »
office arms, i like that...

keep lugging around hefty bits of wood and you'll soon have good enough forearms to combat getting the blank off the chuck.