Author Topic: Anyone know what model lathe this is? Any Good?  (Read 7410 times)

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
Anyone know what model lathe this is? Any Good?
« on: April 18, 2017, 11:44:25 AM »
Hi All,

I'm considering getting my first lathe for my garage so I don't have to go so far as the community workshop where I usually turn and so I don't have to tidy up quite so much. Being able to down tools midproject and leave stuff standing would be a bonus.

I've been offered this lathe, see pic. I've tried googling the name on the stand but that model number just seems to be the stand itself as far as I can tell. Anyone know what model it is and whether it will be any good? At the moment I'm mainly considering bowl turning. The owner doesn't know much about it as it wasn't his. I have established so far that it has a rotating headstock and that it has step gears.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Re: Anyone know what model lathe this is? Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 12:04:42 PM »
Record Coronet no. 3 I believe.  There ends my knowlege ;D  No doubt others more knowledgeable will be along.....

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 12:14:14 PM »
Record Coronet no. 3 I believe.....
I'd say that you're right Chris.

You can get a whole lot more info here... http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet/page5.html
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:12:22 PM »
Great little lathe, not so much different from my first, a Coronet Major. But because of it's age, I'd suggest you check the run out of the Phosphor Bronze headstock bushing.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. It doesn't include the bowl turning attachments or any chucks/faceplates etc. It's just got spindle stuff, drive spur and what looks like a live centre on the tailstock. Because of it's age, I'm not sure whether these things would be easy to get...? Would it be compatible with modern equivalents? Cheers

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 09:30:56 PM »
Strangely I cannot remember the headstock thread off the top of my head, but somewhere I have an adaptor for the Supernova 2 or Sorby chucks.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »
the spindle thread is 3/4 x 16 and takes 1MT centres.

Ed

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »
Isn't the first clue in the name of the image posted i.e. "Record Coronet lathe.jpg"?

But I would agree that it IS a Record Coronet lathe from what I can see in the picture.

I am 99% certain that all the accessories, and upgrades for their current CL3/4 lathes would fit, including the bowl turning attachment. That replaces the bed bar casting at the tailstock end.

If you have any doubts, give Record Power a call, or visit one of their dealers - there are several with 30miles of Lancaster. Take a look at their website.

I think the key question to ask is how much does the seller want for the lathe. Bearing in mind it's age, so no camlocks, and probably three speed not four as per the current models, but that it does include a stand, I would expect a price around £400.

Hope that helps,
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:48:23 AM by Derwent Woodturning club »
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »
It is one of the early Record CL lathes from the 90's. If 5 speed a CL3 with a spindle thread of 3/4 X 16 and No 1 Morse Tapers.

Very easy to upgrade to variable speed and add adjustable locking handles. The stand needs boxing in so weight (sand bags ) can be added. If price is right could be a good buy.

The bowl turning attachment goes at the headstock end.

The current models have changed to hollow headstock spindles with a thread size M33.

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 10:58:56 AM »
..... The bowl turning attachment goes at the headstock end. ....
Whoops! Well spotted Mark. My mistake in my earlier post. That's what comes of doing things in a rush.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 01:35:03 PM »
I agree it is the same as the Cl3 (not the latest one) and you can still get all the bits for it if it does not come with a thread protector/ejector hen get one.
I own the cl3 and have done many things on it except for not having a hollowed head stock it has not stopped me having tremendous fun.

Offline howlingbaboon

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 04:46:06 PM »
I've found out that record still sell the bowl attachments, but they are £90 (ouch!) and so far have not seen many 2nd hand ones around. So it looks like I won't struggle finding Chucks to fit then. As some have you said, it's easy to modify these lathes to make them variable speed. Is it also easy then to add a reverse switch? Are these things also costly modifications? Does one need to be a whizz with electronics and mechanics or are there simple guides and plans around to help with this?

I'm wondering whether or not it might just be worth holding out and trying to get something newer with all these features already there. At the makerspace workshop, where I do all my turning at the moment, we have a hegner hdb 200xl. I'm not sure if I'm just spoilt with such a machine as, in limited opinion, it seems to be very good. Not been to have a look at this CL3 yet so don't know about the state of the bushing etc yet but if I do I will certainly check this out. Thanks for all the advice.

p.s. DWC - I named the picture  :) I knew the make(s), just wasn't sure of the model and presumed if was like cars where each make has many different models  :)

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 05:14:32 PM »
At the makerspace workshop, where I do all my turning at the moment, we have a hegner hdb 200xl.

There is a Hegner HDB200XL Lathe for sale at http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/forum/hegner-lathe_topic21347.html which looks like a good buy.

Tim

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 05:44:25 PM »
I've found out that record still sell the bowl attachments, but they are £90 (ouch!) and so far have not seen many 2nd hand ones around. So it looks like I won't struggle finding Chucks to fit then. As some have you said, it's easy to modify these lathes to make them variable speed. Is it also easy then to add a reverse switch? Are these things also costly modifications? Does one need to be a whizz with electronics and mechanics or are there simple guides and plans around to help with this?

Speed genie is £449.  Reverse switch requires some configuration of invertor which I have fought shy of since I probably wouldn't remember to lock whichever chuck I have on at time.

Mike

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 09:04:30 PM »
looks the same as my brother inlaw`s Coronet number 2.
welcome to my woodturning world