Author Topic: Turning Balsa Wood  (Read 12167 times)

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Turning Balsa Wood
« on: January 18, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
Evening All
Has anyone had any experience in turning Balsa Wood. I have been asked to make some fishing floats for a chap who makes traditional hand made floats. Although Balsa is very soft, botanically it is a hardwood. It is a broadleaved tree and therefore in this category. I await your replies with intrepidation!!!!!!!
Roger G

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Turning Balsa Wood
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:51:13 PM »
I've never turned it in a lathe.

But as a kid I used to help my father make floats from Balsa (Avon somethings). He'd drill and push a bit of pegwood (very thin dowel) through the balsa. Then using an electric drill and sandpaper (no fancy abrasives back then) shape the outside and then apply the eyes etc and paint and lacquer them.

It'll be an interesting exercise.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
Hi Roger,It seems you should get the Balsa Wood near to the size you require then using a Bamboo kebab Skewer push down the middle then onto the lathe and then using coarse sandpaper turn to the shape followed by the painting.

Try this link.  www.ehow.com/how_5437610_balsa-fishing-floats.html

Regards John
John Smith

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
Hi Roger, This link maybe better.www.floatfishingconnection.com/tutorial_JM_BalsaFloatTutorial.htm

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:47:09 AM »
Hi Roger,
I used to make my own floats too with balsa wood, sarcandas reed and peacock quills. I used to "turn" the balsa on a drill after mounting it on a piece of reed by using a combination of abrasives and a stanley knife as a sort of skew! I think I might still have some of the raw materials kicking around somewhere.

The balsa is very easy to shape and sand smooth. Give it  a couple of coats of cellulose dope or sanding sealer before painting or varnishing, it hardens the wood a little and stops the paint soaking in too much.

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »
You can turn it using a very sharp skew and very light cuts, or 60 grit abrasive works well.   I have turned a couple of mushrooms in the past just to see if it could be done.

Anything but a very sharp skew ripped lumps out of it so I mainly used the 60 grit gouge.

john

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:22:48 AM »
Hi John DS/John T/Paul/Dr4gfly
Many thanks for your reply, very informative sites. Makes you wonder why the chap does not buy his own mini lathe.
Roger G

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:45:10 PM »
Hi Roger How are the Fishing Floats going? Regards john
John Smith

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »
Still waiting for the chap to come round with the blanks etc. I'll let you know how I get on, if I get on.
Roger G