Author Topic: weed pots  (Read 3346 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
weed pots
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:13:58 PM »
I thought I would post this photograph of some Weed pots as there was a thread on the subject.These were made from old Cleaved Oak fence posts.I apologise to anyone who has seen them before as I posted them on the previous forum.Regards John
John Smith

Colin

Re: weed pots
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 08:02:37 AM »
Here's one done from a Banksia pod.

admalin

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »
Is the banksia weedpot hollowed or just drilled?
Have you any tips on clearing the seed holes?
Tony Malin

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »
Ad,

I can give you a couple of hints on Banksia Pods.

To clear the seed holes I use a small hooked tool from my electronics soldering equipment but a piece of wire with a small hook should do equally as well.

If you want to hollow a pod be prepared to use an awful lot of thin(ish) superglue. A little hollowing you can get away with, but for walls much less than 1/3 inch the hard sheath making the seed hole will become detached and fly out. You will need to turn down to an almost finished size, apply lashings of glue, all around every hole. Then you can finish the outside before tackling the inside.

But keep an eye on it, I've still lost a couple of the sheaths and spent many minutes grovelling in the shavings looking for it, to glue it in again.

Tip.
I've never yet found a way to thin superglue but I have discovered that if you drop the bottle (with lid firmly on) into your hot tea or coffee the heat certainly makes it flow far easier.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Colin

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »
I only drill them for the reasons that have already been given. It is after all only a weed pot and so you don't need a very large hole 10-12mm is enough.

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:12:24 PM »
An important thing to remember about naksia nuts is that they contain millions of very, very small "hairs", and these can be a serious health issue. If inhaled they can apparently work their way deep into the lungs (aveoli) where they can do serious damage. So mask at the very least when turning them folks!

Personally I can't stand the things.