Author Topic: Insurance/small print  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Re: Insurance/small print
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 11:06:38 PM »
I assume if they say the artwork isn't covered, that also excludes any product liability?

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »
"when the block insurance for AIR members is renewed by the a-n."

I note this point Pete, what does it mean, 'block insurance'  I can not believe that any insurance company will remove anything that involves any form of chance of damage or injury unless there is a catch. After all they are in the business of making vast sums of money and not making it easier for them not to have to pay out.

It says  heat equipment away is being removed from the policy terms when the block insurance for AIR members is renewed by the a-n." do you have 'block' insurance, if not then this will not be taking out of anyone policy that does not have 'block' insurance. I am playing devil's advocate here and I don't trust insurance companies as far as I can throw them.

I would seriously consider nailing them down to find out the exact parts of this and not just accept an email.

The A-N insurance does indeed look good so I am going to do my own inquiries as I may change, but I can not believe that if I am applying heat that there will not be any conditions. Also not at the top it says We can advise you that this insurance provides cover for the individual artist if they are found responsible so they would get us with that anyway.

I appreciate that it does note stop us doing anything, as we can after all do pretty much what we like. Just when the proverbial hits the fan everyone else will run for cover and the insurance companies will circle while rubbing there hands with glee.  :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:09:22 AM by Mark Sanger »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »
I see where you are coming from Mark. The insurance is provided via a-n which is for artists and crafts people but is actually Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. They are really good in responding (1 hour when I emailed yesterday) so worth a look. Plus they are half the price of the cheapest of the other ones I looked at originally. just over £50. I was originally put on to them by another turner moons ago and have stayed with them since. I think any insurance company will  try and wriggle if they can when it comes to an actual claim.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 10:48:26 AM »
I see where you are coming from Mark. The insurance is provided via a-n which is for artists and crafts people but is actually Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. They are really good in responding (1 hour when I emailed yesterday) so worth a look. Plus they are half the price of the cheapest of the other ones I looked at originally. just over £50. I was originally put on to them by another turner moons ago and have stayed with them since. I think any insurance company will  try and wriggle if they can when it comes to an actual claim.

Pete

Thanks for the info Pete. I am certainly going to give them a look at early next week and will phone them.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 03:42:53 PM »
what does it mean, 'block insurance'

Basically A-N take out a policy with an insurer, currently RSA, which provides cover for members of A-N.  This known as a block policy/insurance/cover.  The cost of the policy, and the cover provided under it, will be reviewed annually based on the experience over the last 12 months (number of members, claims experience, etc).  A-N may choose to move the block policy to a different insurer if they offer better premiums or terms, or may negotiate  different terms with RSA if they perceive that members need something slightly different. 

It could be that RSA have agreed to remove the offending term (perhaps for a higher premium that A-N are happy they can cover within current membership rates) or it may be that A-N are moving the policy to a new insurer with different terms.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »
what does it mean

Basically A-N take out a policy with an insurer, currently RSA, which provides cover for members of A-N.  This known as a block policy/insurance/cover.  The cost of the policy, and the cover provided under it, will be reviewed annually based on the experience over the last 12 months (number of members, claims experience, etc).  A-N may choose to move the block policy to a different insurer if they offer better premiums or terms, or may negotiate  different terms with RSA if they perceive that members need something slightly different. 

It could be that RSA have agreed to remove the offending term (perhaps for a higher premium that A-N are happy they can cover within current membership rates) or it may be that A-N are moving the policy to a new insurer with different terms.

Thanks for the info Chris, much appreciated. I will be contacting A-N today and will probably change over to them and possibly save some money aswell if the cover is substantial enough.