Author Topic: Micro motor  (Read 2786 times)

Offline geordie

• iron
Micro motor
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »
Hi all I am thinking of buying a micromotor my dremmel bit the dust, have checked out ebay and there is a marathon dental drill for just over £100 the spec seems pretty good but the price seems too low compared with a foredom should i just bite the bullet and get a foredom???
any advice guys

Geordie

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Micro motor
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 07:13:10 AM »
Depends on what your looking to do George

I have a Foredom but I use this for heavy work with 1/4 bits upwards this unit spins at about 18,000 rpm and has some real torque so ideal for power carving. More for the Stuart Mortimer type of work

If I'm wanting to do piercing, texturing or fine detail then I use the woodart products micro motor this spins at 45,000 rpm using the finer cutting tips. More the Mark Sanger type work

I think it's two units two different types of work.

Ed

Offline geordie

• iron
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:03:37 PM »
Thanks Ed

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »
Just went through the same thing. I have the Foredom pendant motor/flexi shaft and it was fine for heavier duty stuff but was not good for finer work. Bought the Wood art high torque micro motor and found it great. Obviously you need various burrs and I think I should have also bought the smaller collet to cover all the bases. Would say the two machines complement each other well. Basically what Ed said 😁
Cheers
Michael

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »
I use Axminsters Weercheer foredom equivalent,I use that for the heavy and fine stuff,but I`m used to this type of motor from the dental trade I was in,but if you have the right burrs,you can do fine suff just as easy as the heavy duty stuff,I tend to use my reciprocal carver for getting rid of most of the waste(less dust),then do the fine stuff.
welcome to my woodturning world