Author Topic: Rocking chair renovation  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Rocking chair renovation
« on: April 12, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »
Has anybody else tried renovating one of those cheap rocking chairs,the ones with the bits of wood screwed to the seat above and below and the legs arms etc; fixed to them,was given one to repair or dump at the weekend,so set about stripping the two pack finish off of it as it was blown in various places,started with a tri point scaper,hard work,remembered I have anelectric heat gun,so used that to heat it set halfway up the scale so things wouldn`t catch fire,that worked till the scrapings broke free and got some air around them,luckely I was outside so nothing caught fire,so Monday evening I`d got all the tosh off,oh had taken all the screws out and disassembled it before stripping the coating,cheap nasty screws holding it together,kn wonder it was falling to bits,now had to san off the black stuff under the clearcoat,so that was Monday morning,by Tuesday lunch had finaly got it back to wood and ply(seat and backrest),still some black stuff ingraine in the wood/ply,so left that to see how it looked after oiling,the reassembly could now take place,I super glued most of the loose spindle jointsas they had pins through them,worked nicely,the two joints from the arms to the backrest had larger gaps,so were epoxied as were the screw/batten joints using better quality and thicker screws to squeeze out any excess glue.I then left things to set for awhile before giving it its first coat of pure tung oil Tuesday afternoon/evening another coat today and its coming up nicely,I`d better take some pics now I suppose haha.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Rocking chair renovation
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
Sounds like quite a labour-of-love, and now that you've told us what's involved, if anyone asks me to renovate one I shall point them in your direction.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Rocking chair renovation
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 08:03:42 AM »
Please Don`t Les one`s enough.
welcome to my woodturning world