Author Topic: Weed Pots???  (Read 3252 times)

Nige7

Weed Pots???
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:56:31 PM »
In searching for stuff about finishing using the forum search facility (why didn't I think of that sooner?)  I came across a picture of some lovely looking 'Weed Pots'.  Im fascinated as to what a 'Weed Pot' is :)

Nigel

BarryMobbs

Re: Weed Pots???
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:24:21 PM »
Hello Nigel,
 It was good to see you on Friday and, as you probably found, we are a friendly bunch who are alway willing and pleased to help other turners. We have a lot of good turners with a wide range of experience and skills, so for any question or problem that you have somebody will have an answer.
 Weed pots could be described as vessels with a a small central hole to hold something like a stem of dried flowers or a few grasses. Similar are bud vases which have a larger hole with a plastic insert to hold water for a small bunch of flowers or a bud.
 They make good spindle turning practice and use up small scraps of wood. You can also use small branch wood and leave some of the bark on for added interest.    Barry 

Nige7

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »
Aaahhh, thanks Barry :)  Yes really enjoyed Friday thanks. Im sure that format will work in the end.  There were a number of things i would have liked to see demonstrated but as a newcomer I held back. The Skew is a tool I have great interest in but there seemed to be a lot of friendly antagonism  about that particular tool :)  I tried turning some beads but I don't think a bit of open grained deal was a good first choice of wood.  The tool was sharp enough but all I got was a LOT of ragged edges :)

Thanks for the Weed Pot explanation.  I have an old oak post about 4 inches square, but definitely not straight, which I could try making a weed pot from.

Nigel

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:06:11 PM »
Nigel,

Barry has explained what a Weed Pot is, but I'll try explain a bit further.

In America (where turning is a more accepted art form) weed pots are a strange phenomenon. People collect them and display them with a twig, bit of grass and the like, almost like the Japanese art of flower arranging - Ikebana.

The idea of the Weed pot came over, now all we need are the collectors and arrangers.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Nige7

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 10:13:24 AM »
Is it a characteristic of weed pots that they show some of the bare/rough wood they are turned from or is it just about the hole and the shape?

Nigelß

Andy Coates

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »
Essentially it's all about the hole and nothing more. The hole is small so that only a few stems or a small handfull of grasses Etc., can be placed into it. After that you can make them whatever you want them to be.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »
Nigel, I have posted a photograph of weed pots on the Gallery.Regards John
John Smith

Nige7

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 04:58:58 PM »
Thank's Andy for the explanation and thanks too John for the pictures :)

Nigel