Author Topic: Yew WIP  (Read 2943 times)

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
Yew WIP
« on: March 04, 2017, 12:04:35 PM »
I set out this morn to turn a small natural edge bowl that tapered from the rim to a small base,but,as I was getting to round and started a bit of shaping whilst tidying up base ready for a tenon,this shape emerged and I quite liked it. So,I thought I'd ask some opinions  :) whilst I can still revert to my original idea.  I do actually have the other half of the log,so could do both.

CC 's wanted please on this WIP

Cheers,
Mike

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Yew WIP
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »
Personal opinion: I am not keen on the straight edge shape and would round the sides into the base either a straight curve or an ogee if you are still thinking bowl. From what I can see you have the makings of a natural edge bowl and with the contrasting sap and heart wood it should make a pretty bowl. Using the drive as you are you needed to hammer it home as it is going into bark which is too soft to hold. Look forward to seeing how you go with it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »
Personal opinion: I am not keen on the straight edge shape and would round the sides into the base either a straight curve or an ogee if you are still thinking bowl. From what I can see you have the makings of a natural edge bowl and with the contrasting sap and heart wood it should make a pretty bowl. Using the drive as you are you needed to hammer it home as it  is going into bark which is too soft to hold. Look forward to seeing how you go with it.

Pete

Thx Pete- One for change it lol.
Drive didn't hold first time,which prompted my other post this morn.

Mike

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »
I think with the almost "rectangular" outer shape, you are storing up problems for yourself when you try to hollow the inside because your bowl gouge won't be able to complete that shape with a standard bevel angle. I would suggest you try to create a curve that intersects the rim and bottom of the bowl with no sharp corners. That would be much easier to hollow.

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 01:08:16 PM »
I think with the almost "rectangular" outer shape, you are storing up problems for yourself when you try to hollow the inside because your bowl gouge won't be able to complete that shape with a standard bevel angle. I would suggest you try to create a curve that intersects the rim and bottom of the bowl with no sharp corners. That would be much easier to hollow.

Thx Paul,I have hollowed similar shapes before,I think the RS Ultima hollowing tool will be ok for getting into the edges ,even if it's useless for small apertures :-)
Question is about the outside shape,I feel that this shape shows off the grain etc really well and that it might get a bit lost with,say an ogee shape ?

Mike

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
A third one for letting the curve of the all blend into the curve of the base. In my mind, the straight-walled, flat-bottomed bowl just doesn't looks dull. Get a nice, sweeping curve on it.....easier to make and looks so much sweeter.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 01:38:25 PM »

Sorry to be blunt Mike but straight sided bowls look to have no style IMHO I would go with your
      original plan.
      Kind Regards Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »
A third one for letting the curve of the all blend into the curve of the base. In my mind, the straight-walled, flat-bottomed bowl just doesn't looks dull. Get a nice, sweeping curve on it.....easier to make and looks so much sweeter.
Les

Thx Les-it's looking like curvy is the consensus lol.

Mike

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 01:56:14 PM »

Sorry to be blunt Mike but straight sided bowls look to have no style IMHO I would go with your
      original plan.
      Kind Regards Tony

Thx Tony-looking like it could be plan 'A' .

Mike

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 04:32:18 PM »
It is going to be a Dog bowl.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 07:51:41 PM »
It might look right on the lathe, but once it's off and sat on a surface, it will look wrong I'm afraid. A sweeping curve or ogee will give it definition and  create the impression of lift from the surface.

A big mistake many learners make, is to try and make the biggest thing possible from the piece of wood they have.

Something to think about, in years to come whatever colour wood you use, it will be brown. The shape/form is what will remain, always work for the shape.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:53:30 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »
It is going to be a Dog bowl.
Regards George

Thx for your encouragement George  ;D but oh no it isn't lol.
I had a sign last night-sat at a window table in Bistro Pierre Weston I looked over at the Victorian Café on Marine Parade,here's what I saw  ;D.

Mike

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 03:43:17 PM »
Here's the final piece,with all it's worm holes, cracks and replaced bits of bark  ;D CC'S welcome.

Cheers,
Mike