Author Topic: Sanding Sealers  (Read 4401 times)

Nige7

Sanding Sealers
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:37:23 PM »
Looking at Sanding Sealers there appear to be three main types differing in the solvent they use. I am wondering what advantages or disadvantages there are between the cellulose, acrylic/water and Shellac based sanding sealers.  They appear to be about the same price and I can only guess that the choice is related to what you are going to put on afterwards, wax oil etc.

I've tried a web search but haven't found the usual plethora of helpful sites!  Any ideas please?

Nigel

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Sanding Sealers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »
I think it's also a matter of counties regulations. I don't think you can get cellulose based SS in Australia. The fumes etc not being good for you - it's already been removed from our car industry to some extent.

Other than that it's a matter of choice and drying time.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Nige7

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:55:49 AM »
Thanks dr4ag0nfly.  I had an idea and took a look at the Chestnut.co.uk website as their products appear to be commonly available.  Their site is OK and describes their products in some detail but something I did notice is that many products seem to be suitable for the same things rather than having a clearly defined use.  I guess this is because history and tradition have shown that many naturally occurring products produce similar results.  Down to the individual to try something and see how it goes !  Im sure I saw somewhere the comment that you can spend as much time finishing a piece as turning it. No surprises there then :)

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:32:47 PM »
Hi Nigel

I use cellulose sanding sealer and I let it down about 25 - 30% with cellulose thinners.

I brush it on and wipe off the excess with kitchen towel.

when it's dry I cut it back with webrax which I prefer to wire wool.  if you haven;t come across that yet it's like a nylon pan scrub.  Chestnut sell it around 31 a piece and i cut mine into 8 and it lasts for ages.

Cheers Dave

Nige7

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 05:00:09 PM »
Thanks Dave, I'll look that stuff up :)

Nigel

brianpart

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »
I also use cellulose sanding sealer well watered down if I am going to use waxpolishes. However my main finish is finishing oil with up to 6 or 7 coates, this enhances the figure and leaves a more natural wood finish. Beware don't use wire wool on Oak, the minute fragments of steel will produce black spots in the wood due to the tannin in the oak.
Cheers Brian

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 07:25:17 PM »
I also use cellulose sanding sealer well watered down if I am going to use waxpolishes.

Hi Brian, how are you?  How do you get on putting water in your cellulose?  Much cheaper than thinners I guess!! ;D ;D

I tried to resist posting but couldn't  ;) ;)

Cheers Dave

Andy Coates

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 08:25:23 PM »
DOH!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »
It should be more water in your Scotch ....   ;)  ...  ;D ..
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''