Author Topic: 3rd hollow form  (Read 2013 times)

Offline wider

• gold
3rd hollow form
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:26:06 PM »
well hear is my 3rd hollow form and probably the hardest I have attempted. the form is 5x3 with a 3/4 hole. the wall thickness in places is about 2 to 3 mm wall. this is finished with sand sealer and baby oil. all comments welcome.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: 3rd hollow form
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »
Hmm. It's a bit of an odd shape, to be honest. Especially the top seems to be a little undecided, going straight for the lip of the opening. Not what I would have done.
Plus, I can quite clearly see sanding marks around the shoulder and above it. Considering the standard of your work shown elsewhere on the forum, I think you could have done better.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 04:04:28 PM »
Great to see you keeping on with the hollow forms. This size is not easy at all and seeing it is only your third ever then it is a worthwhile effort, the techniques are not easy.  The form will come in time with practice and observation, just a bit more finishing as said.

All in all for your third attempt you should be pleased with the result.

Don't forget there are templates in my book that you can cut out and stick to card to help out with the first few forms. Don;t hold to these rigidly and keep experimenting as they are just a guide to the forms I like to make.

all the best.

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 07:25:18 PM »
thank you for your comments and I am in full agreement with you both. I had to continue with the shape the way I have as I hollowed out a little to much but as you say it is a learning curve. as for the finish I am in my self disappointed as what I thought was a good finish on the lathe turned out to be a disappointing one when I seen it after photo'ing it. I can only get better. when you look at the form under normal light you cannot see any scratches but will hand sand it any way.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
Getting the shape right is perhaps harder than the hollowing out. Make sure you have the outside right beore starting to hollow. Ones that don't work out are worth hanging on to to try different texturing and colouring technkiques so not wasted. As for the sanding, one idea is to sand finaly with some polish or oil on it as this helps to fill any persistent marks. Looking at your overall work you are progressing pretty rapidly though so keep up the good work.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 10:08:15 PM »
I decided tonight that if I was able to correct at least 1 of the points that have been pointed out on this form then I would have a go. And that would be to re finish the form and get rid of the sanding marks. here are the before and after photos.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »
that is much better. You can see know how having a good finish has lifted the piece up a whole other level.

My mantra has always been 'Form and finish' and this I consider way over the wood.

Form is very subjective but finish for me is not, it has to be right for the piece.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »
Unusual shape but it's the journey not the current location that matters, the shape will come.

From Marks comment you have his book and can refer to his guidance on forms. But I'll try add something that may also help, one of the worst things new turners do is to try and maximise the tuning to the available timber. Don't be afraid to have a waste area or turn away what does not fit the shape you want.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!