Author Topic: Spindle gouges and wings  (Read 2948 times)

Nige7

Spindle gouges and wings
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:23:27 PM »
What is the feeling about the wings on spindle gouges. Is there any advantage/disadvantage in grinding them well back as some do on bowl gouges? Or should they be left rounded and 'up front' ?

Nigel

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Spindle gouges and wings
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »
The Celtic Grind, Ellsworth Grind etc on bowl gouges, the Lady's fingernail etc on Spindle gouges all have their place as do the standard (now considered old fashioned) grinds. I have bowl and spindle gouges with several different grinds but probably only use 3 or 4 of them regularly. The wings work, when you master them but to the learner can be very grabby if used wrong.

The danger I see is that you have read lots, thinks (as everyone does) that a new tool or different grind is the answer to not being able to do something or to do something better.

Worse still is you'll regrind a gouge and find it works differently but not as you want, you'll regrind it again... and ... you get the picture. All you are doing is using up metal.

Start from the basics, learn the tools slowly and be prepared to make mistakes (we all still make them) and do simple turnings to understand how the tools cut and how you can make them work the way you want.

Then you can start making changes.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Nige7

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
Hi dr4g0nfly. Im not going for any fancy grinds as yet. I actually ground the spindle gouges to a 'standard' sort of round nosed shape without extending wings back down the gouge. The deep bowl gouge i have put a 45 degree grind on side to side without trying to extend the  wings back too far.

I've reached a time in my life when slowing down is very attractive and I am not rushing anything.  I've taken on the example trees set us; when was the last time you saw a tree rushing to do anything :)

Nigel

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:26:10 PM »
I've taken on the example trees set us; when was the last time you saw a tree rushing to do anything :)

I'll apologise now - I steal good quotes and that one is now mine - thanks.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Nige7

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »
lol, you're very welcome  :)

Nigel

Jon Holden

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
I've taken on the example trees set us; when was the last time you saw a tree rushing to do anything :)

I'll apologise now - I steal good quotes and that one is now mine - thanks.

Sorry both of you, "Treebeard" from 'The Lord of the Rings' did indeed rush to Isengard to defeat Saruman.

Still I guess I probably take things too seriously then....

Perhaps I should read a few more turning books instead.