Author Topic: Wip  (Read 8314 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Wip
« on: February 08, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »
Hi all

Been a while since I have posted any work in here, always messing about on twitter and instagram.

This is one of many pieces I am working on at the moment. A sycamore hollow form that will eventually have a lid, finial and plinth.

Recent I have been spending a lot of time texturing pieces with this one being based, all be it larger in size, similar to a previous piece I thought I would show it in progress.

The texturing is produce with using a micromotor with pretty standard burrs, 3mm piecing burr, 3mm ball nose burr, .75 ball nose burr

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Wip
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »
I assume 'micromoter ' is a more sophisticated dremel type instrument? Whatever I admire your patience. The detail is amazig.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »
Hi Pete

Yes micro-motor is a rotary tool where a high speed motor is in the hand piece instead of the tool being driven by a cable from a motor hung above your head. Much quieter than say a dremel and the rpm is much higher. You also have air driven systems such as the NSK and many others with rpms up in the 300,000 range. Of course he price also goes up with the systems.

http://www.foredom.net/brushlesskits.aspx

The one I have is the high torque 45,000 rpm one below. You can find some bargains for these on internet but I like the fact that I have UK back up if anything goes wrong so pay a bit more for the security.

http://www.woodart-products.co.uk/3_rotary%20handpiece.php

https://store.razertip.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=razer&Category_Code=TC

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »
Watching with interest Mark, I like the elongated patterns I am not sure about the mixing of two so different patterns but will wait untill the completed piece before making a final decision. You say standard burrs are they the diamond ones as that is what they look like

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 12:28:50 PM »
Always good to see your work back on this forum, Mark, and especially to see a WIP. One of the textures on this piece reminds me of 'The Scream', by Munch.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 01:00:41 PM »
Watching with interest Mark, I like the elongated patterns I am not sure about the mixing of two so different patterns but will wait untill the completed piece before making a final decision. You say standard burrs are they the diamond ones as that is what they look like

Thank you Derek.

The piece is the second in a series titled 'Eternal Life' the texture to the left is the female/eggs, with the texture on the right being the male rushing up to the top so the two have a connection within the piece once finished as a whole. The previous blue piece pictured below was the first in the series and went to a new home at Wizardry in Wood. This latest piece will be slightly different as I don't make two pieces the same.

The burrs are standard HSS the one you see on the right is a .75 mm ball nose burr with the pen nib giving a reference for size. Diamond burrs are what I use to finish the surfaces, so once the initial carving has been achieved it is then repeated a second time with a diamond burr. One squiggly section alone takes around 8-10 hours work with the egg sections around 6 hours. 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:30:48 PM by Mark Sanger »

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 01:02:08 PM »
Always good to see your work back on this forum, Mark, and especially to see a WIP. One of the textures on this piece reminds me of 'The Scream', by Munch.
Les

Thanks Les, good to catch up, yes I can definitely see what you mean.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »

Looking good so far ..... it will be good to see it progressing ... must say looking at it at this stage would not think
   the 2 textures would go together ... but seeing the previous pic it definitely works.
    Kind Regards Tony di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 05:24:44 PM »
Thank you Mark. I remember the completed one.

Offline otterbank

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 06:12:48 PM »
Thanks for the info regards the micro motors. Been trying to make a decision on them. Great work really enjoying the progress reports.
Cheers
Michael

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »
Thanks for the info regards the micro motors. Been trying to make a decision on them. Great work really enjoying the progress reports.
Cheers
Michael

You are welcome, there are many on the market. If you can afford the turbine versions they are better as you can cut as quick as you can write, but you have to invest deeply. The micro motor for me is a half way house between the dremel types that screams as at you and is uncomfortable to use without ear protection. Where as I can turn my micro-motor up to 45,000 rpm and hold a normal conversation ( when cutting there is more noise) but still comfortable.

Offline andy44

• Andy
  • gold
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »

Thank you Derek.

The piece is the second in a series titled 'Eternal Life' the texture to the left is the female/eggs, with the texture on the right being the male rushing up to the top so the two have a connection within the piece once finished as a whole. The previous blue piece pictured below was the first in the series and went to a new home at Wizardry in Wood. This latest piece will be slightly different as I don't make two pieces the same.

The burrs are standard HSS the one you see on the right is a .75 mm ball nose burr with the pen nib giving a reference for size. Diamond burrs are what I use to finish the surfaces, so once the initial carving has been achieved it is then repeated a second time with a diamond burr. One squiggly section alone takes around 8-10 hours work with the egg sections around 6 hours. 

Fantastic work Mark, you have far more patience than me, but may give it a go in the near future,
cheers
Andy
regards
Andy

Offline HillClimb

• copper
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 07:48:15 PM »
From Mark's original post and all the reply, I guess everyone can see pictures -  I can't - it is just a blank space beneath Mark's text ???? ??? ??? ???

But the HTML refers to some photobucket images ????

"Art begins when an observer's sensibilities engage with the understatements of a calculating craftsman" - Sara Genn

Offline wider

• gold
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »
just in awe of this Mark. just starting out in the hollow forms so taking all in.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 01:31:14 PM »
From Mark's original post and all the reply, I guess everyone can see pictures -  I can't - it is just a blank space beneath Mark's text ???? ??? ??? ???

But the HTML refers to some photobucket images ????

not sure what is going on as I am not computer savey.