Author Topic: Sheppach wet wheel  (Read 6068 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: Sheppach wet wheel
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 11:16:22 AM »
all these over priced grinders aren`t needed in my opinion either,as its learning the skill of grinding that is needed,you can have the most expensive grinder and still resharpen your tools badly.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 07:20:04 PM »
That's true. But you can also have all the skill in the world and you won't get a decent grind out of a bad grinder and no jig.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 08:07:48 PM »
i beg to differ wolfie, i have a cheap perform grinder and no jig. the white wheel is worn down to 4" from it's original 6" diameter and it goes way to fast at 2800rpm. i don't have that much skill in the grinding department as far as i'm concerned but i can get a decent finish for turning.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 08:40:49 PM »
Yeah, but that's because you don't use irish/fingernail profile grinds. Try that by hand, especially on a small(ish) spindle gouge, and then we'll talk again.
I am definitely in favour of fast running grinders for initial shaping and then a slow running grinder for sharpening (as opposed to shortening!!!).

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 09:05:07 PM »
that is true but simple seems to suit me.

i do have one exception, i've got a very deep fluted bowl gouge which is about 5/8" or 3/4"  thick and i have a very short swept design for that but nothing like those fingernail things