Author Topic: Making mistakes  (Read 2532 times)

Offline GEDWOOD

• Gedwood
  • iron
Making mistakes
« on: March 16, 2017, 11:22:43 PM »
   ::) Last week I agreed to turn a large shallow fruit bowel for a friend all was going great until I heard the dreaded tinny sound as I was taking the final inside cut and yes I'd gone through the bottom despite setting up my Yorkshire depth gauge to ensure I got to the correct depth fortunately I had some spare utile from an old job some weeks earlier so managed to insert a disc and  my friend was still delighted with his bowel. Today I picked up a big job from a cabinet maker I do a lot of work for although I've got 32 legs to turn there was one that is going to be a one of instead of a set of 4 thinking I'd get that one out the way first for some reason best known to the turning gremlins I put a deep fillet into an area where there should have been a ball shape In 24 years of wood turning I can't remember making two big fundamental errors so close together my only excuse is that I'm not feeling 100% recently and maybe a little tired as not sleeping too well So back to the drawing board :'(   
G A Meager

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Making mistakes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 09:40:33 AM »
Yep, I bet your friend is delighted with his bowel, since without it he'd be rather dead.
Some punctuation wouldn't hurt, either.
And what is the point of your post, precisely?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 01:01:14 PM »
I think the point of the post Fuzzy is that we all make mistakes no matter how experienced we are. That includes spelling and punctuation.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:24:20 PM »

Fuzzy what is the point of your answer....PRECISELY
       Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:09:29 PM »
Oh I am so enjoying this thread!

I think it's important to keep sight of the fact that we vary markedly in our ability to use both the written word and the lathe. Let's not judge, but just enjoy the fact that a new member has had the  bravery to come on here and admit a degree of failure.

Les
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:23:04 PM by gwyntog »
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »
I think many of us suffer with the problem of things going wrong and for some unknow reason they seem to happen in pairs. Hopefully you have had your now, look forward to those that go right

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »

Forgot to say Welcome to the forum Gedwood....know the feeling very well and they always seem to pop up in clusters.
   Looking forward to seeing some of your work in the gallery.
   Kind Regards Tony di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 07:42:19 PM »
Oh dear! we seem to have frightened Gedwood off. You can come back gedwood we are not as bad as this thread appears. A picture of your saved bowl will be good, as we all do this and I would like to see how you rescued it.
Ron

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »
Sticking a lump in the bottom after you have gone through the bottom is not a rescue it is a bodge .It would have been better to have binned it and started again
Welcome Gedwood

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline GEDWOOD

• Gedwood
  • iron
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 09:22:48 PM »
  I've never had anybody ignorant enough to call my work a bodge for those good turners who requested a picture I'm a bit of a luddite with modern technology and as the bowel has been delivered, and now resides in Portugal and is no doubt full of fresh lovely fruit, for which it was intended does it matter really how it was fixed the most important thing is the customer loves it and was happy with the end result. Today I have turned eighteen large complicated pine table legs from crap fast grown kiln dried wood, without a single mistake. So tonight I'm relaxing with a lovely glass or two of red. and sticking two fingers up to those people who can't offer constructive advice to a new   member, but are happier to criticise. I taught casualty care and emergency first aid to Medical personnel from many different countries including Germans ,Dutch, Argentinians Chilians and Iranians  and no I can't spell and my grammar and punctuation may leave a lot to be  desired but when the shit hits the fan and your bleeding to death or having a heart attack and crying out for your mum I stand a fair chance of saving your life.wWould you critics still be moaning then? I wonder yours GedMeager QGM
G A Meager

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 09:33:56 PM »
[quote author=GEDWOOD. I taught casualty care and emergency first aid to Medical personnel from many different countries including Germans ,Dutch, Argentinians Chilians and Iranians  and no I can't spell and my grammar and punctuation may leave a lot to be  desired but when the shit hits the fan and your bleeding to death or having a heart attack and crying out for your mum I stand a fair chance of saving your life.wWould you critics still be moaning then? I wonder yours GedMeager QGM
[/quote]

That's OK then
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:50:34 PM by GBF »
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 09:58:50 PM »
Ged,

welcome to the forum.

Yes we all make mistakes and in this case you've made 2 but as my wife would say, there's one more to come. So I hope it's an easy one to deal with when it arrives.

Looking forward to some of your postings of your work.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Online BrianH

• gold
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 11:32:22 PM »
The thing about your average cockup is he just doesn't like feeling lonely. Thats why, when he is looking for a place to happen, he will always wait until two or three other cockups are ready to happen with him.
Brian