Author Topic: Demo by Lyle jamieson  (Read 5653 times)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Demo by Lyle jamieson
« on: January 20, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »
Cheam Woodturners are pleased to announce that Lyle Jamieson will be doing a live remote demo from his studio in Michigan to the UK on  Wednesday April 12th.

The demo will commence around 3pm and continue for approximately two hours.

The venue for this event will be Epsom College, College Road, Surrey, KT17 4JQ  and tickets are available on a first come-first served basis.

For more details or to enquire about tickets,  please PM me.

This is probably the first remote live demo booked by a UK woodturning club so why not come along and experience the meeting of woodturning and new technology. The attached article gives some background information.

“Interactive Remote Demos using live video” article  used by kind permission of the AAW and American Woodturner.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Demo by Lyle jamieson
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 08:48:57 PM »
How much are the Tickets.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 09:10:53 PM »
Have sent you a PM in reply.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »
Ten pounds for a ticket seems reasonable to me.

Regards George

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 11:28:02 PM »
If this is all being done remotely, can't people just watch it from home?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 08:20:10 AM »

How could you watch it at home Paul

Regards George

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 09:13:44 AM »

Technically it would be feasible-you would need to be allowed access of course,that could possibly raise logistical and financial considerations for the organisers which they may not want to consider at this moment.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 04:24:42 PM »
George, I look forward to receiving your £10 you can use PayPal.

Paul, we have considered extending this event to our twinned club, Central Oklahoma but for the first event, we will stick with one club.

There are other turners in the USA and hopefully the UK that we want to get so might consider expanding the access for those. Will talk to the guru Alan z about this.

If your club has access to hard wired wifi then costs are lower and well within the range of what you would pay a demonstrator for an evening demo.

I see that WT 302 has a feature on remote live demos.

I understand that Mike Maloney has a studio and demos. He and his bowl saving techniques, would be a good demo topic.

For info, Lyle will be demonstrating a range of hollowing techniques.

If you are interested in attending, please pm me as we do genuinely only have a limited number of seats available.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 04:59:21 PM »
I am not likely to be coming David the only Demo's that interest me are live ones.
I just wondered what you were charging and it seems to me this is no cheaper than a live Demo.

Regards George

Offline dubturner

• copper
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »
David.
I think this is a great idea and you are to be commended for organizing it. On top of that 10 pounds for a demonstrator of that caliber is a bargain - certainly cheaper than what it would be if he had to travel from the US.
If I was based in the UK I'd have booked  my ticket already.
Well done - don't be discouraged - sometimes it seems that a lot of us woodturners are "grumpy old men" and are change adverse.
Cheers
Pat

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
If I wanted to watch him all I have to do is go on Utube he has more that  20 Video's and they are all free.

Regards George

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 07:56:43 PM »
I wasn't suggesting linking clubs, I meant people watching it from the comfort of their own homes. After all, pretty much everyone has decent internet access these days and it's within the capabilities of the technology. It would also remove the need to travel to the club to watch it.

I can see the next step in this will be demonstrators charging direct individual "pay per demo" fees and cutting the clubs out altoghether because in this scenario, the club really adds nothing to the equation.

Offline bernuk1

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 08:52:02 PM »
I wasn't suggesting linking clubs, I meant people watching it from the comfort of their own homes. After all, pretty much everyone has decent internet access these days and it's within the capabilities of the technology. It would also remove the need to travel to the club to watch it.

I can see the next step in this will be demonstrators charging direct individual "pay per demo" fees and cutting the clubs out altoghether because in this scenario, the club really adds nothing to the equation.

Technically it would be feasible-you would need to be allowed access of course,that could possibly raise logistical and financial considerations for the organisers which they may not want to consider at this moment.

Exactly Paul-I tried to be a little circumlocutive about it-but you called a spade a bloody shovel and hit it right on the head.
The other side of the coin is that our turners could be giving demos world wide,which is surely a good thing.

Offline dubturner

• copper
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »
YouTube doesn't answer questions - or zoom in on request.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 11:23:30 PM »
That's true but a well planned presentation will answer all your questions without you having to ask.