Author Topic: Deep Bowl Gouge; handle too long ?  (Read 5479 times)

Nige7

Deep Bowl Gouge; handle too long ?
« on: January 02, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »
As a brand new turner I recently bought a Record deep bowl gouge. I am still learning the basic uses of all my gouges so I'm guessing I am making a fundamental mistake in the use of this new tool.  The problem I am having is that the end of the gouge handle is fouling on the lathe bed as I try and swing it across when making a cut.

I have experimented with raising and lowering the tool rest  but that doesn't seem to help.  My lathe is a Record CL3.

I can't seem to get the cut right if I don't lower the handle as I swing through the cut and rotate the gouge.

The bowls I have been practising on are no deeper than about 3 inches so Im wondering if I am using the wrong tool. A gouge with a shorter handle would seem to be the answer but as Record don't seem to make one I suspect it is my technique rather than the tool that is not right.

Any advice great fully received.

I am going to a meeting of the local woodturners group here in Norwich on Friday to see if I can get some practical advice there :)

Nigel

Kevin Hanley

Re: Deep Bowl Gouge; handle too long ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
Hi Nigel - and welcome to the addictive worls of wood turning.

You are not necessarily doing anything wrong.  This is a common problem on some lathes where the clearance over the bed is limited.  Your CL3 should have a swivelling headstock - slacken off the retaining nut and rotate the headstock towards you about 30 - 45 degrees and retighten.,  Reposition your toolrest at the correct height and take cuts as normal.  You should now have enough clearance for the end of the handle without fouling on the bed bars.

Try this and let me know if it helps.

Regards

Kevin

Nige7

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »
Many thanks Kevin, I'll give that a go tomorrow . I wish I had bought the bowl turning tool rest that goes with the Record lathe :) It would have been cheaper at the time !

Nigel

Kevin Hanley

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »
Nigel

I used to have a CL3 - a good basic lathe and one used by by some professional turners for some of their work.  I found that there was too much flex in the bed bars for my liking - especially when turning out of balance clanks off the side with the bowl turning extension.  I am not saying you have bought the wrong lathe - far from it - but before you start turning larger bowls that need the bowl turning extension decide exactly what sort of turning you want to do.  You may then decide you want to upgrade anyway! 

From memory, with the headstock partially rotated you can probably turn up to about 16 inches with what you have got.

Regards

Kevin

Nige7

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
Thanks Kevin. I haven't noticed any flex in the bed bars but then I haven't turned anything very big yet.  I need a bit more experience before I try to turn a large bowl.

Nigel

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:03:53 PM »
One problem I found with Record Bowl gouges is the flute is very narrow. And as such they don't like to be ground with swept back wings (if you understand that) the flutes fill and jam with shavings.

Stick with the basic 45 to 50 degree straight grind.

But also see my other post to you.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Nige7

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »
Thanks dr4g0nfly. Yes happy with the technical terminology and grinding and yes I have noticed that the flute on the Record gouge does jam up with shavings.  I'll take a look at some other gouge makes and compare flutes.  Im going along to the Norwich woodturners meeting this Friday and will take a look at what people are using there :)

Many thanks again

Nigel

BarryMobbs

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:15:52 PM »
Hello Nigel,
 Why don't you bring your gouge with you on Friday. I will be bringing some of my tools for the demo, so we can see how our grinds compare.
  See you Friday.  Barry

Nige7

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »
Wow, Thanks Barry. Yes will see you Friday :)

Nigel

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »
Hi Nige7
One thing you can try, to get over the bed bar problem, is to remove the tailstock and slide the banjo and headstock to the right hand end of the lathe, and as long as you have room at the end of the lathe, you can stand face on to your bowl and the bars will not foul the tool handle. I read you are coming to our club on Friday. Make yourself known, Barry and myself are up front, so to speak, on a skills night. Look forward to meeting you.
Roger G

Nige7

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 08:12:22 PM »
Thanks Roger :) Read this after Friday so it's all done now.  Good to talk top you and Barry on Friday and I will take you up on your kind offer.  I was lucky enough to find a source of Holly, box and laburnum bits and pieces, ideal for turning I hope.  I'll bring some with me at some point :)

Nigel

kasandrich

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
you cant beat face to face at a club, there is always people prepared to help you